One kilo watt

Coldsmoke

Journeyman
Tagline
---
There is a Dual 500 listed for sale on the french equivalent of craiglist. This big thing being a kind of fantasy to me, I am considering buying it.
Is there anything special to pay attention to when buying this monster?

Thanks in advance,

Lazarus Short

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
There is a Dual 500 listed for sale on the french equivalent of craiglist. This big thing being a kind of fantasy to me, I am considering buying it.

Thanks in advance,
Lift with your legs, and avoid a hernia.

Northwinds

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
What's not to like about 505wpc as long as it works and if something blows you can get parts for it. I think somebody here said they are a bitch to work on and you can't WOPL them. Bob Carver started the design but left before it was done so it was finished by PL engineers

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof

Thanks in advance,

Second that Ron. The D-500's can be troublesome. They are also not a complementary design, and converting them has not been done, not even by Ed Blackwood. Mt advise would be to look for 700B, or 700 Ser II that is good cosmeically and WOPL it...

gadget73

Journeyman
Tagline
---
depends how you define design I guess. The 700 and 700B are cosmetically different but share the driver board. The 700 Series II has a different driver and looks different. There is also the Pro 700, which is basically just a 700 Series II with a black faceplate. THere have been some fitment issues on the 700-II at least with the updated backplane boards. Apparently the -II chassis is a CH smaller inside and it makes stuff not quite sit correctly.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
All Ser II chassis , SO FAR, have fit problems with the backplane boards, which now has been cured by the new White Oak c hassis...

Coldsmoke

Journeyman
Tagline
---
depends how you define design I guess. The 700 and 700B are cosmetically different but share the driver board. The 700 Series II has a different driver and looks different. There is also the Pro 700, which is basically just a 700 Series II with a black faceplate. THere have been some fitment issues on the 700-II at least with the updated backplane boards. Apparently the -II chassis is a CH smaller inside and it makes stuff not quite sit correctly.

I see, I actually kind of like the look of all series II equipement (the pro being virtually unfindable, I don't even consider it).
I am not sure to have understood what is the advantage of the backplane (wich is not installed on my 400), so I suppose that I could keep what we call in french the "in the air" mounting style (meaning not on PCB).
Talking about the driver, I suppose that, considering a WOPL upgrade the point is to bring some change to the technical aspects anyway, right?

Coldsmoke

Journeyman
Tagline
---
All Ser II chassis , SO FAR, have fit problems with the backplane boards, which now has been cured by the new White Oak c hassis...

You answered faster than me Lee, so if I read you well I could consider the mounting of the new version of the backplane on a serie II. Still, I am not sure to understand the advantage of this board....?

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
The backplane boards do offer a lot of advantages. Less noise, fully complementary configuration, neater installation, more reliable output transistor connections, just a better way to go....

Coldsmoke

Journeyman
Tagline
---
The backplane boards do offer a lot of advantages. Less noise, fully complementary configuration, neater installation, more reliable output transistor connections, just a better way to go....

Ewww... Lee I thought my 400 was almost finished and you come with extra work for me :]

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
The complete White Oak treatment is well worth it. Joe has been so busy developing new products his website does not reflect his newest developments. However, ALL new developments are documented here on Phoenix....

Coldsmoke

Journeyman
Tagline
---
The complete White Oak treatment is well worth it. Joe has been so busy developing new products his website does not reflect his newest developments. However, ALL new developments are documented here on Phoenix....
Good to know :]
Joe, if you read this, I think that I will soon pass a new order for a new rev backplane :]
BTW I noticed, when I received the LED board here in Belgium, that the customs fee were ridiculously high (about 50%), while I just read that this kind of material shouldn't be charged (custom code 8534009000)

gadget73

Journeyman
Tagline
---
I happen to have a Pro 700 that I'm not really doing anything with. I'd consider letting it out of my hands. Getting it to you would probably be no small chore though. Its stock, but working properly. New caps on the stock driver board, but thats really about it. All original otherwise, fully complimentary too.

Coldsmoke

Journeyman
Tagline
---
I happen to have a Pro 700 that I'm not really doing anything with. I'd consider letting it out of my hands. Getting it to you would probably be no small chore though. Its stock, but working properly. New caps on the stock driver board, but thats really about it. All original otherwise, fully complimentary too.
This is nice from you Gadget, but I had a couple of bad experiences with shipping amps overseas ...

Coldsmoke

Journeyman
Tagline
---
I've been looking on Joe's site for an instruction document about the backplanes, couldn't find anythind do you by chance have such instrusction Lee?