Okay, what HAPPENED? (RT-909)

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I was trying some tape on it, only one channel was recording much, then after a few rewinds the deck just started running sluggishly, maybe half speed, just heartbreaking.

Wonder if I had forgotten to set the reel size for 7" and that screwed it up? Did the tape gum up things? I don't see pieces of it in front of the integrated it sits over. I'm almost certain it's 632 that Freddy1 spooled for me sometime before he passed away.

I'm feeling pretty bummed and stupid somehow at the same time...and the only other thing is the AC bumping the line maybe? I'm beginning to hate that damned thing lately.

rtp_burnsville

Chief Journeyman
Hi Steven,

There could be lots of things..... It took me a long while of testing and fixing to get mine up and working correctly. The 909 is not for those without a large amount of determination.

One of the first things that could be causing your problem are the micro switches contained in the tape tensioners. The current for the motors run through these switches and almost all of them are junk after this many years. Cleaning them really does not help, or if it does they will fail again shortly. The switches are rather cheap to buy (a few dollars each) and not all that difficult to install. I would start there first before touching anything else.

Robert

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Hi Steven,

There could be lots of things..... It took me a long while of testing and fixing to get mine up and working correctly. The 909 is not for those without a large amount of determination.

One of the first things that could be causing your problem are the micro switches contained in the tape tensioners. The current for the motors run through these switches and almost all of them are junk after this many years. Cleaning them really does not help, or if it does they will fail again shortly. The switches are rather cheap to buy (a few dollars each) and not all that difficult to install. I would start there first before touching anything else.

Robert
This

orange

Tagline
It rewinds and fast forwards sluggishly too when it's not in play mode.

It'll sit there for a while then.

orange

Tagline
I was gonna play reels on my birthday, including some I'd record for the occasion but I just don't know now. I've got one whole Teac A-2340, a Sansui SD-5050 and a Revox A-77 but I feel like a damned shlep.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Hi Steven,

Robert
Maybe you should read this again Steve. Robert is very capable doing this kinda stuff....

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
A deck is a deck Steven, why have the others if your not going to use them? Might as well get some use of them while your trouble shoooting the 909. I still have a Tandberg 3300X Crossfield that sounds great. The rewind clutch cork things have to be redone though. I have to rewind by hand LMAO!!!! F/F and Play work perfectly