'Nother Hecksperiment

Lazarus Short

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
I'd been using the Yamaha M-35 for a while in the living room system, but remembered how handy the Luxman was with its remote volume control. I put it back in, but then thought of keeping the M-35 in the system, and adding the Genesis speakers. In the end, I plugged the M-35's inputs into the "preouts" of the Luxman. In use, I'd turn both on and crank the M-35's volume pots to maximun, so it would slave off the Luxman's volume control. Well, it worked! Two amps, four speakers...and one remote! Nice. We're hearing a lot of low-level detail we missed before.

Bob Boyer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Nice. I'm assuming you have all four speakers in front? I think my Exposure would do that, as well. I've used my Parasound HCA-1000 (don't care to afford an Exposure 2010 power amp which would perfectly match the power of my 2010s integrated) to drive the woofers of my LSAs while the Exposure drove the tweeters in a bi-amp situation but I'll bet it would work equally as well with four full-range speakers hooked up in a configuration same as yours. Keeping output power similar would help, but it wouldn't have to be perfect, I don't imagine. I was running 75 wpc from the Exposure and 100 wpc from the Parasound without the bass being out of balance. Not that I'm running hot enough to push either amp - and they both have large transformers for significant reserve power.

I also had a Definintive Tech subwoofer in the other house with that setup but that was a 1200 square foot room with 8 foot ceilings; my current listening room is 12 x 14 x 8. I don't need a sub in a room this size.