New to me PL400 - how to start up?

Philos70

New Around These Parts
I got a PL 400 off ebay that arrived today. I'm going to rebuild it, but thought I would like to hear what it sounds like before doing so. This is probably a total newbie question, but is it safe to start up a 40 year old amp by plugging it in? The seller said it was tested and works. It was shipped USPS and the box was tossed around a bit by the looks of it. Packing was less than stellar.

Thanks...

Jeff

NeverSatisfied

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Play the Game, don’t be the Game
Welcome aboard. There are some really smart and experienced people on here and I have no doubt they can answer your questions.
Until they show up, I will offer my less smart and less experienced 2 cents.
The first thing I do is check the fuses, are they the correct type and the correct rating? Beware if they are not, especially if they are a higher amperage.
If the fuses are correct then I plug the amp into a surge protector with no inputs and no speakers connected. If no fuses blow and no smoke or weird sounds after being powered on for 30 minutes, I power it down and hook up a pair of cheep speakers, I then power back up and listen to see if there is any weird speaker behavior. If all goes well then power down and hook up a cheep preamp and test the system.
This is the cross your fingers and hope for the best procedure. There is a much safer procedure using a Variac and a test bulb that hopefully someone will explain for you shortly.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
I got a PL 400 off ebay that arrived today. I'm going to rebuild it, but thought I would like to hear what it sounds like before doing so. This is probably a total newbie question, but is it safe to start up a 40 year old amp by plugging it in? The seller said it was tested and works. It was shipped USPS and the box was tossed around a bit by the looks of it. Packing was less than stellar.

Thanks...

Jeff
The meters are notorious for coming loose during shipment , pop the face plate, check meters for tight and check for loose screws or washers lying aboot.....If you don't have a DBT or variac and don't care because you are WOPLing it anyway...yeah, plug it in..