New Parts Available for X1000R- Speed- Reel Switch

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
There is no longer the need to buy these parts on E bay if yours fails at over $20 each. I sell the exact same item for $10/ Pair and then whatever postage is.
I came along when the Gear C was selling for $80 and got that price down to a reasonable amount now I am doing it for these switches too.
When I was doing research as to who made the switch that he sells. I asked the girl who sells this switch in China. It turns out I was talking to the source because she said that is our switch. Case closed. I have lots of them here now.

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
Apparently I have one coming in soon due to a E bay purchase as some of these sellers do not know when to stop with the fraud. E bay should kick thiese guys out after two reported fraud cases. Some of them do it all the time like that guy in NY with the A6600 that was restored with not a single thing in it touched. I bet he took it back and just relisted it for parts.

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
I got my first KA-9100 dead in one channel- “fully tested” by the seller... and those outputs are not available other than another unit...

That was a mess to get sorted out, but I did get refunded in the end and bought a nicer one for less.

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
All these parts that are not available there has to be a part out there that does the same thing. People are too lazy to look or they do not know how to match parameters of transistors.
In my business which is a lot less detailed than linear amps, I determined 6 transistors that can take the place of almost all the stuff I come across so i buy 300 of each type and they work when installed where old ones were and they even have much better specs as in low noise.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
In the case of the Kenwood, it’s a “Darlington-like” module made by Kenwood. There is a Chinese made replacement that is functional, but not a suitable replacement. You have to change both and it’s not the same amp after that...

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
Wow, That would be one reason not to stay with that brand as all these specialized parts will mess with you at some point.
I have a Kenwood here now that need a new Balance pot. I may have to be creative.
It is a KR9050 model.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
The lower line amps used more conventional stuff. Supposedly this was done by Kenwood to manage the heat better. I believe it was done to make servicing easier- replace the module and set bias. Out the door.

Once you open one up, it’s fairly simple (amp section anyway). The front with all the preamp stuff is a mess...

The left and right side of the cabinet are heat sinks. True dual-mono with two main transformers, four beer cans and so on.

nakdoc

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
highly biased
Jim, I have TA-200w modules and maybe a TA-150W. Make a reasonable offer. I've seen bad driver transistors make it look like the module is bad, so my recommendation is to shotgun them first before spending $$$ on the module.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
The one I have now is working. I had it checked over as soon as I got it and other than dust, and a parent lack of use, it’s 100%.

One switch was broken (just the lever) so I found a replacement and had him install that at the same time. It might benefit from a recap, but everything was in spec and he didn’t feel the need to dig into it.

The Tapeheads (PS) owner has a module or several. He told me it would be cheaper to buy another amp and take one out... needless to say I didn’t take him up in that.

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
Now that I was sent the correct parts I have used them and they are working great. Sending decks out with them now. Just a little feedback as now I have 1000 switches here but only half are with the correct 20mm mounts. I have used the other 25mm mount switches in the old mounts cutting off
some of the mounting metal with a Dremel cutting bit. It takes more work but they also work- it is the same switch.

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
Maybe those that are following this will also like to know I completed a modification for the capstan motor speed control so that each direction and each speed can be dialed in with a 10 turn trimmer to exact values each for it own purpose. This requires 4 pots that are two for low speed (two directions) and two for high speed (2 directions). Now when this is installed the end result is a truly correct speed running machine- no speed compromises as was the adjustment in the past.

Attachments

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
As is my typical advise, these are not for me to get rich fast. It will never happen. I think so far I have sold three set of switches but I will not go to Ebay and make a listing as there are too many idiots there that could probably not put them in anyway. It takes a bit of work to get the switch block out and then put the switches on the PCB. I takes an experienced person more than a hour to do this. It can be done though as it is not impossible and NO I do not take the front panel off- that is silly.
A lot of people like my speed adjustment mod but in some machines it is not necessary- it depends on the machines wear. The one customer that said that he wanted it in his machines I told him he did not need it as his deck was doing the correct thing. I am not the type that will sell a guy on something he just does not need.