New (old and busted) bass bins

grapplesaw

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
As a result of watching so many of you building big bass horns and being offered these ones for free I am going to rebuild some old hockey rink bass bins. They are setup with 15” ( busted) woofers. I have taken advise from my Buddy Andrew who as you know build a hell of a system. The agreed first try will to use two Eminence 12” bass woofers in each cabinet. So I pulled the speakers and opened them up to dry out for a few weeks. The plywood on the horn radius is 1/4” and delaminating. I think I will lay additional layers of epoxy and Matt or plywood. This thread will move slowly but stay tuned. 8D513FAE-9DBF-4BB1-8733-E3868207C9B6.jpeg

Attachments

Last edited:

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I’m thinking we could squeeze six tens in there… that’ll curl your hair.

How good is the horn geometry? There’s a free program called “hornsrep “ or some like that where you can design optimal horns. It goes back to the days of the 386 I think.

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
I’m thinking we could squeeze six tens in there… that’ll curl your hair.

How good is the horn geometry? There’s a free program called “hornsrep “ or some like that where you can design optimal horns. It goes back to the days of the 386 I think.
Thanks I will look into that
I will put the woofers in then do some sound pressure sweeps. The plan is the use these below 80 hz or less.

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
What G-saw didn’t mention was how to get this past the Mrs;) I suggested he would be an absolute hero if he could turn them into her Christmas present, a God among men if you will...

I may consider building fork pockets into my next build, in another lifetime or parallel dimension...

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
What are the existing woofers? They look how should I say... “inexpensive” but that doesn’t always mean shit. Are the coils ok? Can they be repaired with a surround job? Might be worth the $15/each for a standard evilBay surround kit and try them if they’re otherwise ok?

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
What are the existing woofers? They look how should I say... “inexpensive” but that doesn’t always mean shit. Are the coils ok? Can they be repaired with a surround job? Might be worth the $15/each for a standard evilBay surround kit and try them if they’re otherwise ok?
I think they are dumpster material but I will look at them.

here is the horn speaker program site. I will get it tomorrow

http://www.hornresp.net/

Last edited:

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
I think they are dumpster material but I will look at them.
That kinda look like it... every once in a while the optimist in me comes out... doesn’t usually work out good! Those will look epic in a home system once you doctor them up a bit. If they sound as good as they look I hope you have good home insurance...

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
That kinda look like it... every once in a while the optimist in me comes out... doesn’t usually work out good! Those will look epic in a home system once you doctor them up a bit. If they sound as good as they look I hope you have good home insurance...
I’ll see if I have insurance after I run in the two 40 amp 240 volt feeds. One for front and one for the rear.
next amp I do I am going to do in 240 volt. It may be something of interest.

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
Hmmm, I bet the new speakers would sing powered by a WOPL 1000. Better invest in some drivers that can handle that kind of power.[/QUOT
so the plan is to fit two Eminence 250 watt 12’s in each cabinet. I Will try them at 16 ohms with a dual 500 to power both. Or a couple of bridged 400’s I have built. One per cabinet. That way the amp will see a 8 ohm load. I’m liking that idea now

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Not to thread hack you G-saw, but question for the designers/builders... has anyone over volted a WOPL? If so what did they tolerate and what gains were found by the higher rail voltages?

NeverSatisfied

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Play the Game, don’t be the Game
so the plan is to fit two Eminence 250 watt 12’s in each cabinet. I Will try them at 16 ohms with a dual 500 to power both. Or a couple of bridged 400’s I have built. One per cabinet. That way the amp will see a 8 ohm load. I’m liking that idea now
I like how your thinking, go big or go home.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Not to thread hack you G-saw, but question for the designers/builders... has anyone over volted a WOPL? If so what did they tolerate and what gains were found by the higher rail voltages?
Yes, I've seen rail voltages of 112. Getting close to max volts for the outputs...very bad...