New Nak in the House

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
Got this one in today, a BX-300. Seller had it redone recently and the proof is in the sound - fantastic.

Lemme go see about where some travelin' tapes are 'round here... I'm ready now. :thumbright:

IMG_0645.jpg

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Jerry: Very nice. It must be Nakamichi week, as I recently had one gifted to me. I was at Innovative Audio last Saturday, and Gordon handed me a BX-100, which was destined for the recycle pile. The owner brought the deck in to find out the problem with a squeal coming from the mechanism while playing a tape. No problem with the tape's sound quality on playback. The owner didn't want to spend $80 to repair it, and abandoned it. I will spend the money to repair it, however. These BX series decks are rarely given the recognition they deserve, as the more well-known Naks steal all the glory. Congratualtions on your newest purchase!

Nando.

Pure_Brew

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Coffee filters
We bought my dad a BX-100 new. Sat on top of his 1960's mahogany cabinet stereo for years. I always thought it was nice, but we did have to get it fixed once not long after we got it. I was pretty young then, and I remember thinking that the logic controls were very cool on it. (Only had piano key decks up to that point)

derek92994

Tagline
Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed
I cant wait to get a BX-300, I'll be talking to perry about that when money permits :toothy10:

Elite-ist

Staff member
I just brought home a 670ZX. Don't know why the colour is off. The faceplate is the same colour as the rack handles/mounts. I didn't take the photo.

View attachment 8081
That's a nice deck. I wonder what Perry thinks of the 670/680ZX models.

I cant wait to get a BX-300, I'll be talking to perry about that when money permits :toothy10:
I found a fully serviced BX-150, today, at Innovative Audio. I have a BX-100, which had been gifted to me five weeks ago. It needed a lube & tune, but for slightly more than the cost of the service for the 100, I got the BX-150. Once I patched it in, I had it playing one of my progressive rock mix tapes, recorded with my Esoteric V-9000.

Nando.

BubbaH

Tagline
---
Don't know why the colour is off. The faceplate is the same colour as the rack handles/mounts. I didn't take the photo.

View attachment 8081

Ive seen pics like that before. Several in a stack and 1 looked like that. Weird

That's a nice deck. I wonder what Perry thinks of the 670/680ZX models.

I found a fully serviced BX-150, today, at Innovative Audio. I have a BX-100, which had been gifted to me five weeks ago. It needed a lube & tune, but for slightly more than the cost of the service for the 100, I got the BX-150. Once I patched it in, I had it playing one of my progressive rock mix tapes, recorded with my Esoteric V-9000.

Nando.
I like the BX-150. Mine was ok for a while after I purchased it, but it has developed some issues now. Nice that you found a serviced deck Nando. Even with the issues mine has, its still a great playback deck. Thats what I bought it for, and thats all I use it for. It seems to like pre-recorded cassettes better than my Yamaha thats for sure.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Ive seen pics like that before. Several in a stack and 1 looked like that. Weird

I like the BX-150. Mine was ok for a while after I purchased it, but it has developed some issues now. Nice that you found a serviced deck Nando. Even with the issues mine has, its still a great playback deck. Thats what I bought it for, and thats all I use it for. It seems to like pre-recorded cassettes better than my Yamaha thats for sure.
Ben: I don't think you could get a better value for owning such a deck! I am trying other mix tapes recorded on different decks to hear how it fares. I just plugged in Steve's (TH's Arnold Layne) progressive rock mix tape made on his Nakamichi Dragon. Some say that tapes recorded on Nakamichi decks play best on Nakamichi decks, but I haven't heard a tape recorded, yet, that didn't sound good on any of my decks which was recorded with members' Nakamichis.

Also, I wanted a Nakamichi deck that was ready to go, before the TH Nakamichi Traveling Tapes get to me from your brother, Rob.

Nando.

Perry

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
670zx is the 3 head with tape monitor version of the 660zx which while still 3 head, has no monitor while recording, both with analog meters. I have 2 660zx, with one for sale, just awesome Dolby B only decks. The way Nak cleverly displayed the output on the meters during calibration with the internal cal tones was neat. Of course, today it's hard to see why they ever offered decks with 3 discrete heads, and no monitor, but it made sense back then. I also have 3 680zx, which was basically the next version of the 670zx with new flourescent meters, and minor updates. One of the 680zx is for sale. They are just classic decks from the heyday of that period. ALways have a lush sound, very full. Their biggest issue today is orange cap disease, especially with the 680zx, which all seem to have it. I have recapped mine. Normally only the 4700pFs in the oscillator circuits succumb on the other decks of that era.

It is very common for the older Naks with black anodized faceplates to have a purplish cast in the right right (wrong?) light, especially as a camera captures it with flash. It can normally be seen with the naked eye in direct sunlight, but in normal room incandescent lighting they remain black. The rack handles are painted, not anodized, so they stay black, and the bezels are plastic, so also stay black.

Last edited: