Need Mac Mini to DAC Connection

Lazarus Short

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
I've got a pre-Intel Mac Mini, and have been using the heaphone jack to a Y-splitter, to patch cords, to the amp. Anything wrong with this? It sounds fine. The Mini has only the headphone jack, USB jacks, and Firewire jacks. I'm thinking of outputting to a DAC, and I have two, one with coax inputs only, and the other with coax and optical inputs. I have been unable to find any adapter to bridge the gap, and the hopeful USB-to-RCA cable I made myself was a failure. Is this even worth pursuing?

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Perhaps you can put a WTT ad up? Do you think you might be able to negotiate one with somebody (and I don't use them mind you, I use the mini jack to RCA adapter and go straight to the cassette deck or tape loop)?

Larry! What might you have up your sleeve, other than grime from rebuilding the scooter? :)

Lazarus Short

Tagline
SUCCESS!

I found a "DAC Destroyer" at Twang Fest - a tiny plastic box with USB input, RCA and headphone outputs, and an LED pilot light. Twenty bucks too, and I can try it out in a few weeks when we move. Yeah, we got a contract on a house.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Excellent!

So you were at Twangfest? Did you see Paul (Rex Everything)?

PS I'm now working from the Compaq Evo D51C with XP Professional!

Last edited:

Lazarus Short

Tagline
Yes, I saw Rex there. There was less gear this time, so I talked with more people, especially since I was still somewhat weak and stumbling around. The most notable thing this year were a pair of smallish Radio Shack speakers which were more listenable than a pair of DCM Time Frames. You just never know...