Need help to repair two phase 400 amps

LarryD

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Hello everyone this is my first post here. I am in need of some guidance to figure out what may be wrong with my amps. The amps were put away in 1994 along with my QLS1's. I am getting back into the stereo stuff and decided to try and repair these amps myself because I have little money. So here it goes. Amp #1 I fired it up after sitting for 20 plus years and it was working. I let it sit plugged in for over two hours with nothing playing. When I started playing music on it the left channel was not responding until I increased the volume. The sound was not very clean but yet it played. I powered it down and hooked up amp#2 Turned it on and it fried the left speaker, And I mean Fried. These were only cheap test speakers. I did have some trouble with the #2 amp years ago it blew the fuse twice. So anyway I have very little knowledge with electrical and hope someone can guide me thru things. Amp#1 I have removed the face plate and unscrewed the board. I looked at the backside of the board for any burn spots and did not see any I then checked out the component side and all looked ok. I checked the caps visually and saw no swelling from heat. I would guess that the next step would be to go over the board with the ohm meter and start checking. Here is where I need help. What should I check for first. Any takers? Please!

NavLinear

Veteran and General Yakker
Welcome Larry!! I'm glad you made it here. We will help get your PL amp problems figured out - I'm glad you made it to Phoenix and here's a warm Navbabe to welcome you aboard! If you get a bit behind I hope it looks like this!

Attachments

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
First......get a service manual. You have to be able to identify certain components.
Second.....acquire a good (or shitty) digital camera. Learn how to post pics. We're gonna need em...

LarryD

Journeyman
Tagline
---
First......get a service manual. You have to be able to identify certain components.
Second.....acquire a good (or shitty) digital camera. Learn how to post pics. We're gonna need em...
Hello, Would you be chance have a manual? Thanks Edit: Got it! How to find out what board I have?

Last edited:

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Start with an easy project and build a dim bulb tester. Then we can see where your at schematic/wiring wise. Got a meter?

LarryD

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Start with an easy project and build a dim bulb tester. Then we can see where your at schematic/wiring wise. Got a meter?
Yes I have a meter. So you want me to solder two wires onto a bulb? I have to get a good iron today. I have one but it sucks!

And Good morning Wopl !

Last edited:

LarryD

Journeyman
Tagline
---
You have 18 700's ??? Am I reading that right?

Ok, Got the service manual, got the ohm meter, got the soldering iron and solder, got the camera and got to go get some coffee. Be back soon!!!

Last edited:

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Well, 17 I think.

A DBT is a little more than soldering 2 wire to a bulb. It's a test setup and you use it when firing up an unknown unit. If you go to Don Imlays website (just punch in watts abundant). Look at his directions for installing a DC Protection board and in there is a schematic for building one. It cost 10 bucks to make it. Maybe less.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Welcome Larry!! I'm glad you made it here. We will help get your PL amp problems figured out - I'm glad you made it to Phoenix and here's a warm Navbabe to welcome you aboard! If you get a bit behind I hope it looks like this!
That one has IRS (Incredible Rear Suspension), Navo...first (cl)ass as usual!

LarryD

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Need output transistors.

I was wondering if anyone has any extra outputs for my 400? #7713 & 7640 . It would be much appreciated! thanks!

LarryD

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Not the date codes, but the model number does. What are they??
I have not pulled one yet but I will right now. Be back soon. Edit, Ok they are phase linear XPL 910 on the top three rows. and rca's 66546on the bottom row. Now that is strange! I bought both of these amps (new) at the same time. My other amp was all rca's. and this amp has some hex screws and some slotted hex and flat head slotted. WTH !! It looks like it has been worked over! It came from the factory like that!

Last edited: