Nakamichi indecision

finebar4

Journeyman
Tagline
---
I have not owned of a cassette deck for a long time...since my Pioneer bit the bullet in a moving accident and was damaged beyond repair. Been keeping an eye open lately for a good local
deal and found 2. I can pick up a LX-3 or a DR-3 at “reasonable†prices and not sure which to
grab. Both are 2 head machines, but I can live with that :) I have read somewhere the LX uses the same head as the Dragon’s but may be an internet myth..... Both are in incredible physical shape....flawless, both have real low usage hours, both include original boxes and paperwork. Damn....I just don’t know.

which would choose and why?

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
I don't know about either model. But, I did look them up. The original retail price on the LX-3 was $170 higher than the DR-3, even though it pre-dates the DR-3 by a decade. Better mechanicals on the LX-3. You have to like the looks of the LX-3.

Nando.

Last edited:

finebar4

Journeyman
Tagline
---
It’s the better buy of the two and yes.....I am totally digging the look of it and was really leaning in that direction. This is a truly an awesome tape-head hangout filled with great knowledge....so I would be remiss if I didn’t ask :) I just didn’t want to jump headfirst and find out I should have bought the other a day too late. Story of my life :)

Elite-ist

Staff member
Let us know how you make out on the LX-3 purchase, Kevin.

Nando.

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
It’s the better buy of the two and yes.....I am totally digging the look of it and was really leaning in that direction. This is a truly an awesome tape-head hangout filled with great knowledge....so I would be remiss if I didn’t ask :) I just didn’t want to jump headfirst and find out I should have bought the other a day too late. Story of my life :)
Heheh.. well we did call it the Phoenix Tape Co in the early days. Check your PM's, Kev.. I think it's time to pass on a relic your way as far as the forum goes! :headbang:

BlazeES

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
The DR Series have clunky mechanisms, have a lot of chassis resonances and are from the era of cost cutting. Owned a DR-1 for quite a while and it couldn't keep up.

Fire up both decks side-by-side and put your ear to both. You'll see what I mean.

finebar4

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Unfortunatly they are both on opposite ends of town, but I will truly take your word for it!!!! I appreciate the input!!! Jerry solved my crisis and I will soon be posting pic’s of my new to me deck and one of the two 707’s I scored tied into my mess at home. Hopefully they won’t be in the shop
long....

The DR Series have clunky mechanisms, have a lot of chassis resonances and are from the era of cost cutting. Owned a DR-1 for quite a while and it couldn't keep up.

Fire up both decks side-by-side and put your ear to both. You'll see what I mean.

finebar4

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Decision made!!! Taking Nando’s advice and a wonderful offer from Jerry......I chose. I am proud Papa to a new to me LX-3 purchased locally at a price I couldn’t say no to AND a LX-5 compliments of jbeckva (Jerry) that he offered to pass on to a good home. The 3 will anchor playback in the garage setup, the 5 will being pulling duty in the main setup. Both have their issues currently, the 3 does everything but go into record...the 5 has it’s own idler concerns. Both have been sitting a while so need a good cleaning and lube. I see some awesome mixed tapes in my near future.

Attachments

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
Take good care of the LX-5 bud, that deck has special value as it was a gift to me from Larry for setting up this here forum.. :headbang:

Miss the ole curmudgeon.. it's in a good home now LOL :glasses2:

Elite-ist

Staff member
Kevin: Did Jerry send along the Phoenix Metal tapes, too, with the LX-5? Those are scarce. Another reminder of the Larry days.

There are a number of members who make a great mix tape, if you ever want to get involved in a mix tape exchange.

Nando.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Kevin: Did Jerry send along the Phoenix Metal tapes, too, with the LX-5? Those are scarce. Another reminder of the Larry days.

There are a number of members who make a great mix tape, if you ever want to get involved in a mix tape exchange.

Nando.
I don't even think I still have one, they may have all gone into CARE packages. I do have the red and blue CrO2s.

finebar4

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Found’em on eBay and had to have. Bought all he had. Thought I would embellish the pic with them and somebody would spot them :)

Nando.

jaetee

Journeyman
Congrats on scoring two of Naks most underrated decks. Take care of them and they will be the last tape decks you'll ever need to buy. "need" being the key word there...

finebar4

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Thanks for the vote of confidence, I appreciate that. They are headed in to local
shop this morning. They will go one at a time to DrNak for some love after I get them up and running.

Congrats on scoring two of Naks most underrated decks. Take care of them and they will be the last tape decks you'll ever need to buy. "need" being the key word there...

nakdoc

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
highly biased
Dragon heads are unique to the Dragon, but the LX 5 shares heads with the ZX7,682,482, etc.

I have one Phoenix metal. Larry was sincere about this hobby.

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
Decision made!!! Taking Nando’s advice and a wonderful offer from Jerry......I chose. I am proud Papa to a new to me LX-3 purchased locally at a price I couldn’t say no to AND a LX-5 compliments of jbeckva (Jerry) that he offered to pass on to a good home. The 3 will anchor playback in the garage setup, the 5 will being pulling duty in the main setup. Both have their issues currently, the 3 does everything but go into record...the 5 has it’s own idler concerns. Both have been sitting a while so need a good cleaning and lube. I see some awesome mixed tapes in my near future.
I don't even have a tape deck in my main system but looking at those makes me want one now. Those are some really sharp looking units. Congrats !

finebar4

Journeyman
Tagline
---
I don't even have a tape deck in my main system but looking at those makes me want one now. Those are some really sharp looking units. Congrats !
I hear ya. I haven’t owned a tape deck in years....decades. Missed out on last traveling tape
Project, but it was enough to spark an interest, then I came across a deal on blank cassettes and figured it must be destiny. Both are in the shop getting belts changed and full clean and lube jobs....will get some more pics up as soon as they come home.