Mystery Deck #2

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
That or you get the TV tray.

Anyhow, we're all captive without a jihad. Sounds good, over.

Last edited:

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
It will be interesting to see which deck you choose, Tony. And once you have it, which place will it hold?

Nando.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Nothing will replace 'the beast' TC-K870ES as my primary deck. Ever since I replaced the belts, it's been a real joy.
It's twin is still standing in wait to have the ANT chip upgrade ... whenever I muster up the guts to put that thing in.

I am actually tossing around the idea of selling my TC-K950ES deck though. I don't use it enough - as magnificent as it is.
So the Mystery Deck #2 could immediately jump to the my 'number two' rig. It will really depend on which one I score,
who services it for me and the success of having the type IV circuits calibrated to Sony Metal Masters.

Many things still in a state of flux ... no pun intended ... :roll:

It will be interesting to see which deck you choose, Tony. And once you have it, which place will it hold?

Nando.

Elite-ist

Staff member
I already jumped the gun on you, Tony, as I have my TC-K950ES up for consignment sale at Innovative Audio. I'm using the money from the sale to fund my next major component purchase.

It's tough to assign a deck as #2. For me, I find the cassette deck I am most comfortable using becomes #1. So, the roles always change as I roll another deck into the system. Whatever your choice of Nakamichi, I know you are going to be diligent in making the right choice.

Nando.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
I already jumped the gun on you, Tony, as I have my TC-K950ES up for consignment sale at Innovative Audio. I'm using the money from the sale to fund my next major component purchase.

It's tough to assign a deck as #2. For me, I find the cassette deck I am most comfortable using becomes #1. So, the roles always change as I roll another deck into the system. Whatever your choice of Nakamichi, I know you are going to be diligent in making the right choice.

Nando.
Best of luck with your sale Nando. That's a pretty big price, near the top of the range I've investigated - so certainly not out of bounds.

Not to upstage you whatsoever, but I'm setting my target lower on my unit.
It's a complete kit with the side panels, the manual and even the original box with inserts ... if you can believe that.
I'm more interested in it finding the right home than maximizing my coin. And like you, I'm going to use the dollars
returned on my next, big adventure.

By the way, I've noticed that Scott is offering up his ANT modified "A7" on the Canuck marketplace.
He's not going to get $1400 Canadian for that ...

Last edited:

Elite-ist

Staff member
Yes, Scott is selling his Sony TC-KA7ES. He is also looking to buy a top-flight Nakamichi deck. The last deck I sold at IA was my Sony EL-7 Elcaset deck for $750. I have an even nicer EL-7, which I kept. I will let you know once my 950ES sells. Of course, my deck being sold at IA, comes with a 90 day warranty.

Nando.

orange

Tagline
Nando, I see in that ad that CKLG? is on 104.3 FM now, the old 730 AM (once LG 73) is gone? It was great DXing them when KBSU-AM in Boise changed their pattern around 7 pm when I was a kid.

Or maybe a different LG? LG 73 was a big deal when I was young.

Last edited:

62vauxhall

Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
LG 73 is long gone. AM 730 is now an all traffic station. In the 60's/70's CKLG AM's competitor for rock music station was CFUN 1410. Maybe you were able to get that one too? I did on a car radio in Alberta in 1973.

Elite-ist

Staff member
I was a CKLG listener on AM. When I was an early teen I would tune in 730 AM, on the Sony portable near my pillow, while drifting off to sleep. Then I really became advanced - got a second Sony portable and had a portable on either side of my pillow. That was my foray into stereo-surround in 1972.

Nando.

Last edited:

Elite-ist

Staff member
Geeze I need to get my ass in gear and sell my Sony 870ES deck.:eek:
John: You have unrealized income potential in all those TOTL decks you own. I know you've already sold a few, but you've been holding back on some of the reserves.

Nando.

orange

Tagline
LG 73 is long gone. AM 730 is now an all traffic station. In the 60's/70's CKLG AM's competitor for rock music station was CFUN 1410. Maybe you were able to get that one too? I did on a car radio in Alberta in 1973.
OH YEAH I did, but it's harder in the 'graveyard' with all the Class IVs at 1 kw, even after dropping to 250 w at night (which most no longer need to do). Every Tom, Dick and Harry Chapin got themselves a license after World War II and the FCC just kept finding ways to cram a few more in everywhere, even after the broadcasting treaties with Canada and Mexico and the redo of the AM allocation system in the late sixties that added secondary stations to clear channels (that's when KBOI moved from being a 5 kw station at 950 to 670 and 50/25 kw, the frequency of the former WMAQ Chicago).

But KBOI has the strangest antenna setup to do what they do because of that.

Last edited:

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Found it ! :eek:

I hope it's up to snuff. That's the promise anyhow.
I have a good nose for BS so here goes nuttin' ... pullin' the trigger!

Misty 1.jpg

Going to thin the herd too.
I'm going to pull the TC-KA3ES out of dry-dock and see how things go on the open market.
Then the TC-K950ES goes next.

Both of these models have been performing well on eBoy and the like - for high water marks in vastly lower condition than what I have.

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
Found it ! :eek:

I hope it's up to snuff. That's the promise anyhow.
I have a good nose for BS so here goes nuttin' ... pullin' the trigger!

View attachment 27219

Going to thin the herd too.
I'm going to pull the TC-KA3ES out of dry-dock and see how things go on the open market.
Then the TC-K950ES goes next.

Both of these models have been performing well on eBoy and the like - for high water marks in vastly lower condition than what I have.
Does NOT look like the back of a Japanese deck. Not with that warning. Not the Nakamichis I've seen yet tonight. Not Sony, Alpine, maybe not Tandberg.

Let's just hope it gets here without damage.