My PL 400a Control Board Kit

Tagline
---
My Kit arrived so got the 1/4 watts installed today. This is a very nice kit if other new guys, like myself, want to try this. Years ago I built Dynaco 120 and Pat5, no comparison to this kit! Amazing all the parts sorted in individual bags, labeled and sorted for build order; so much time was spent putting these kits together. Thanks Joe!

I'm trying out google photos to see if posting build pics worth it. With my old eyes I already found a few resistors "reversed biased" when blown up on screen.

Mike

Control Board

https://goo.gl/photos/LFDKjZ5BN4ANiFTi9 if embedded link fails..

Tagline
---
How do you reverse bias a resistor??
When I built my early kits, I found that if i orientated resistors for horizontal or vertical placement by color bands, finding a misplaced resistor was sometimes easier. I read that Joe suggests the same if troubleshooting needed which made me grin. 40 years later I did manage to reverse a few...not that it matters:toothy5:

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
When I built my early kits, I found that if i orientated resistors for horizontal or vertical placement by color bands, finding a misplaced resistor was sometimes easier. I read that Joe suggests the same if troubleshooting needed which made me grin. 40 years later I did manage to reverse a few...not that it matters:toothy5:
True Mike
Every board I have ever built has most significant color band either pointed to the right or upwards depending on the orientation of the board layout. I do recommend that for easier checking of the work.

Tagline
---
Today I finished pgg 1, print view, of the BOM quasi build. Joe included parts and changes for the two tech notes that were sent to me.

Google photos is working well but i created anonymous email account and turned off the location map which our cell phones and newer cameras may turn on by default. YMMV.

This shot lets me double check signal diode direction. I'm looking to score a good glass desk magnifier down the road for my old tired eyes.

BUILD shot, double click photo for full size.

Mike

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Mike, you damn sure know your way around a soldering iron.....NICE WORK!!!!

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
I've noticed on my builds where I get the prebent components , that's the way Joe bends em....

Tagline
---
Happy Mom's day..for anyone that may be Mom's?

Last two shots as all that remains is to install high rise heat sinks, then wire her up when the new Q6's are installed.

No rush, I need to take a breath and look for additional mistakes, like me placing 10 ohm resistor in R14L instead of R41. R14L stays open, would not have smoked but +15 would be missing feedback resistor, or whatever, from VR1. Joe said new boards will have the engineering changes completed so my drifting mind would not have transposed 14 with 41.

I think I read the heat stink compound was not needed but went ahead and put them on the high current transistors , just in case. Cheap white silicon stuff, I save the really good TIM for laptop and gaming rig builds.
All in all a great kit if you have some basic tools and the time..of course, some of the old hands know this!

After all is up I'll test on my desktops fused AR-2ax hybrid bass cabinets with DA PS5's for mid/highs. The PL will replace my Carver cube for temporary gaming duty.

Next up, go with all new quasi outputs first or DC protect board, but, eventually both are on the growing bucket list.

Mike

Front and Back

Tagline
---
Damn, side tracked and now work called.. but ready to power up when I get back. I want to glue one of TheWopsniffer's Clair Bros amp pictures to my face plate. Fine looking beasts they are.

Anyone got time to check a wire shot? You guy's that wire these things, may see one of the old grays wires in wrong slot but pretty sure they go according to Joe's diagram. New teflon wire in the works.

Another shot of Joe's new Q6 bias trans.

Final shot, pulled all outputs, cleaned and checked for shorts then replaced.

Thanks for your time, Mike

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
Damn, side tracked and now work called.. but ready to power up when I get back. I want to glue one of TheWopsniffer's Clair Bros amp pictures to my face plate. Fine looking beasts they are.

Anyone got time to check a wire shot? You guy's that wire these things, may see one of the old grays wires in wrong slot but pretty sure they go according to Joe's diagram. New teflon wire in the works.

The wopsniffer???
I hope that's a typo dude.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline

The white wire from Pad 5R to the input RCA ground plane needs to go to the Star ground point between the caps.