My great adventure starts tomorrow

grapplesaw

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Well this has been a wild ride this month.
We went to relax in Hawaii for couple of weeks prior to our trip to India which starts tomorrow. We returned home in the middle of Saturday night. Just before leaving to come back from Maui my 100 year old mom had a fall. So Sunday and today Was hospital duty. I told them I’m leaving tomorrow and you got to keep her till I get back. End of story. We will see how this plays out over the next three weeks.

So on to the trip.
We fly to Frankfurt tomorrow and on to Dehli after 4 hour layover. Dehli had the worst air quality last weeknight the world so we will be going out of town a lot over the next week to places like Agra where the Taj Mahal is located

Then off to Mumbai for a week to get ready for the main event. We plan to go shopping and meeting with new Friends there.

Oh what’s that you ask. The Main event? Well then I’ll tell you in a second. But first onto the third leg of the trip to Goa for a week. That’s the place where Jason Bourne gets blown off the bridge by the asset and his lady, well you know what happens. We digress.

Back to the main even! So we are having an India wedding. There will be like 3 million people at it so no pressure on us to fit in.

My son is marrying an lady from there. She and He live here but all her family is there. This will be an epic adventure for Beth and I.

I will post daily our adventures and hope you follow along
Off to rest up for the flight
Glen

Fishoz

Tagline
Always learning!
Wow....just Wow! Good luck, hectic trip but all looks like a happy time.
Hope mom recovers well..our thoughts go out for a speedy recovery.

Wheel-right

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Man, Ya shoulda been here yesterday
Very sorry to hear about your Mom, falls are what seem to be so common as we age. my Mom is 91 and I worry every time I see her move.
As for your journey, Wow how cool. Just finished reading Mark Twain's book about his journey around the world, much about
India in it. Safe trip over the miles for all.

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
We are checked in to the gate. Interesting that this flight allows 2 bags each of 50lbs. We packed light so checked addition carry on with our two bags. We feel like we lost something with only two back packs in tow.

Traveler tip #1- get global entry or nexus for your travels. There was a 1-1/2 hour line for security and we walked right past it. 10 minutes from check-in counter to gate

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
We are in Frankfurt now. Flew over the polar cap then Greenland and Iceland. We are on Lufthansa and flew first leg on a 747-800. Boy was that a comfortable plane. No seat rash or discomfort from the flight after 10 hour flight. Next leg is on a Airbus A380-800. 7:45 fight time. I will let you know how it goes.

FredR

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF?
My nephew married into an Indian family. Can't miss him. He's the guy in the middle with the beard. They all flew to U.S. for wedding. Airfare must have been mind-blowing.

Attachments

62vauxhall

Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
Anout 20 years ago a receptionist transferred to my office. Early 20’s, Indian and engaged. She got married a few months after starting. I’d heard Infian weddings could be on the large side so asked how many were at hers.

Answer: 600.

I expressed feeling sorry for her father. He was blue collar so not rolling in dough but she said the groom’s famly contributed.

An Indian father must just cringe when a daughter mentions marriage.

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
So we arrived at 1:10 am in Delhi. Immigration was very straight forward as quick. We had a separate line for foreigners with E/visa or full visa like ours. We had bought a 10 year visa which seamed to make them happy. After taking finger print and photo the y let us through. 10 minutes top.

Then on to luggage pick up before customs. We this was not going well. The airbus A380-800 had 760 people on board. Most residents and returning expats hade other longer immigration lines to go through so they lagged behind. This caused a bottleneck on the luggage pick up. Once the carousel was full it stopped Loading luggage. 2-1/2 hours later we were off to the next experience I exchanged so US dollars for rupees while I waited.
Next up Customs .
Well that was the Wild West with hoards of people leaving. We just walked on out the door without a question. A Guy stood in the crowd and singled out a few suspected people the rest just left to move through 2-3 min tops.

Now the to the AirTel counter per for India SIM cards. Got two 28 day cards with 1 gig per day data and nationwide calling. Cost about $15 us each.

Ok it’s now 4am and off to the hotel. The hotel would send a car for $60 to pick us up.

We chances going to the Meru cabs and got on to hotel with to for $16. We scammed by some guys who loaded car but gave them very little.

So we are eating breakfast now after about 3 hours sleep. This is a 13 hour time change we have to acclimate to.

The hotel is fabulous. It’s is 360 rooms on a huge atrium. I am sure site of some bond movie. The air quality sucks so we will now regroup as to what to do.

That’s it for now

Attachments

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
Thanks everyone for your best wishes for Mom.
She is in good hands. We have a team of helpers to keep the hospital accountable. Managing her care from here is a huge challenge for Beth and me.

Someone brings her breakfast and someone comes at dinner to make sure she eats and to supplement the shity Hospital food.

She is going to physiotherapy and we will have our people be there to assist and ensure she puts in the work. Hopefully she will get her mobility back.

Her mental state continues to improve so things are doing good

Attachments