My CD Players' Feet.

Justin Case

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
Hello,

This concerns a Sony CDPCX235 player. When my WOPL is cranked, the player skips. I'd like to replace the feet with some isolation. There is a small rectangular tab in the center of each foot. Remove the tab and there are two holes. Is there a way to remove the feet? This player sits in a rack with minimal clearance so your insight is appreciated. Thank you for reading!

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
I had the same problem with an.old Teac cd player, finally hung it in the rack with bungee cords. Haven't had those problems with the Onix or Oppo...

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
I agree about the blu tack, if it doesn't work you can still use it for just about a hundred other uses! How much room do you have to play with in the rack?

I think you need to isolate the problem first. If it's vibration from the speakers across the floor and up the rack into the CD player. If it's airborne into the CD player's transport, you have a whole other issue (still fixable btw).

If the blu tack doesn't work you can get some foam core, small floor tiles and some wood, vary the pieces like a club sandwich, you want to break up the resonances with the different items, this is cheap and easy. Let us know what you think.

Justin Case

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
I agree about the blu tack, if it doesn't work you can still use it for just about a hundred other uses! How much room do you have to play with in the rack?

I think you need to isolate the problem first. If it's vibration from the speakers across the floor and up the rack into the CD player. If it's airborne into the CD player's transport, you have a whole other issue (still fixable btw).

If the blu tack doesn't work you can get some foam core, small floor tiles and some wood, vary the pieces like a club sandwich, you want to break up the resonances with the different items, this is cheap and easy. Let us know what you think.
There's only about 1/2 inch at the top.
I'd be good if the feet came off!

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Hello,

This concerns a Sony CDPCX235 player. When my WOPL is cranked, the player skips. I'd like to replace the feet with some isolation. There is a small rectangular tab in the center of each foot. Remove the tab and there are two holes. Is there a way to remove the feet? This player sits in a rack with minimal clearance so your insight is appreciated. Thank you for reading!
First of all download the service manual for some possible hints http://elektrotanya.com/sony_cdp-cx235,270,335,400,450.pdf/download.html

Next thing to do is A) get the speakers off the floor a little, or get them farther out from the player.

B) Don't remove the feet, use some polycell foam to cushion it under the feet and if necessary in spots where vibrations might come up and cause problems. You've seen the stuff in packages and it's plentiful. I'll admit I sometimes go out back of the appliance and other stores downtown to harvest some for boxes and also isolating gear.

C) Removing feet saves space but does not shield from vibrations. Since you have a 200 disc megachanger it's just one huge box with a 'Seeburg' like storage turntable. I put my Pioneer on the bottom because it's the largest and deepest but anywhere you put a CD player affects it's stability.

D) I linked to the service manual because all of these machines are probably more than ten years old and the oldest players are up to 35 years old! It seems weird, but eBay lists them as 'VINTAGE CD players' as if they were early receivers!

There is an entire sheet of this foam under the changer in my bedroom, which is the only place I'm doing it now. If I post a picture of my cabinets and speakers it might help, I'll get that up today...my main cabinet is an old 50'sempty TV cabinet with two doors and a piano hinged panel covering where the top controls went. I paid $3 for it and the TV goes on top. I added two more cabinets in a row and made a monster with tape/noise reduction in the middle one and video on the end as well as a reel deck on top of that one but you get the picture. I have a center speaker hung in the area where the TV's 8" speaker was, in a very large open space beneath the former TV space.

If it sounds complex or something, the time changed and I'm still getting my brain started :alien:

Northwinds

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
I use a little thicker then 1/4" cork pads. I can send you a sheet if you want. They were used in Mercedes rotor boxes