Minidisc Recordings

Nick Danger

Veteran and General Yakker
Recently acquired a Sony MDS JB 930 and I loooooove it. Have been experimenting with it the last couple of days and am looking forward to stealing a page out of Nando's book and start making a master copy of my mix tapes as I, like many of you, have a couple of people that I like to share oxide with periodically.

Last couple of days recordings all done on Sony Neige minidiscs:

Nick's Mix Volume 1(60 minutes). WAV files from my Toshiba Satellite laptop.
Dave Brubeck~ Take Five(LP)
Hank Mobley~ Roll Call(LP)
Horace Silver~ Horace- Scope(LP)
Serge Gainsbourg~ Histoire de Melody Nelson(LP)

Never having access to this type of media before, I am stunned by how good the sound quality is and the sheer ease of use- I am hooked!

Last edited:

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
I can see this thread taking off in popularity, as a few of the recent members joining Phoenix have become very familiar with MD recordings. Pat (Glantoir) has to be the most prolific of MD recording engineers, I know. He inspired me to take on MD recording in a big way.

I take a lot of time in recording the Master on MD. I record to MD Master as it comes from the source. If needed, I will use any processing equipment I have to improve the recording's sound when I dub to cassette from the MD Master.

When I recently lent Doug four MDs for him to try out on his soon-arriving MD deck, two of the MD mixes were Pat's early editions he recorded for me some time ago. I thought Doug might appreciate some of the music Pat had that might be new to him.

Doug will find that Pat's MD Mixes contain track information, but my two MD Mixes, which are Masters for multiple cassette runs I had done, have no track information, at all. I just placed a sticky note on the front of the MD to catalog them for now.

Nando.

Last edited:

BubbaH

Tagline
---
Both Nando, and Pat, as well as a couple other members of TH, helped to spark my interest in MD. While I havent been able to use mine a whole lot, I too, love the functionality, and ease of use with the MD decks. I hope to get more use with it, as I dont think ill be much involved with sending out tapes anymore. With limited discs, I must pick my spots, for swaps/offerings.

fitz43

I can see this thread taking off in popularity, as a few of the recent members joining Phoenix have become very familiar with MD recordings. Pat (Glantoir) has to be the most prolific of MD recording engineers, I know. He inspired me to take on MD recording in a big way.

I take a lot of time in recording the Master on MD. I record to MD Master as it comes from the source. If needed, I will use any processing equipment I have to improve the recording's sound when I dub to cassette from the MD Master.

When I recently lent Doug four MDs for him to try out on his soon-arriving MD deck, two of the MD mixes were Pat's early editions he recorded for me some time ago. I thought Doug might appreciate some of the music Pat had that might be new to him.

Doug will find that Pat's MD Mixes contain track information, but my two MD Mixes, which are Masters for multiple cassette runs I had done, have no track information, at all. I just placed a sticky note on the front of the MD to catalog them for now.

Nando.
I hope to pick up that machine next weekend. I'm still 250 miles away. Doug

Glantoir

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
He doesn't say a whole lot.
Its great to see this thread started up Nick and best of luck with the new MD player

Also thanks for your kind comments Nando expect something in the post very soon ( or in the distant future by the looks of things on the postal front)

If anybody fancies an MD trade with me just give me a shout.

Elite-ist

Staff member
I hope to pick up that machine next weekend. I'm still 250 miles away. Doug
Doug: Let us know when you get a chance to try out your Sony MD deck. I have plenty of Mix MDs you could borrow to listen to.

Nando.

derek92994

Tagline
Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed
Ok, this thread has inspired me to do a vinyl and flac mix minidisc for the car. I have two portable recorders. One definately does not record and the other I am not sure of. They are both Type-R, will fire them up later this afternoon and see if cleaning the erase head fixes the problem. I must say they are great sound considering they are compressed at 284kb atrac, they do blow mp3 away though, even a 320kb mp3 cant compare to minidisc =). When I was doing it tough I sold the other 6 minidisc recorders I owned, it had to be done, and they were all portables. A home unit would be nice one day.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Its great to see this thread started up Nick and best of luck with the new MD player

Also thanks for your kind comments Nando expect something in the post very soon ( or in the distant future by the looks of things on the postal front)

Thanks, Pat. I, always, look forward to your next MD.

Nando.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Ok, this thread has inspired me to do a vinyl and flac mix minidisc for the car. I have two portable recorders. One definately does not record and the other I am not sure of. They are both Type-R, will fire them up later this afternoon and see if cleaning the erase head fixes the problem. I must say they are great sound considering they are compressed at 284kb atrac, they do blow mp3 away though, even a 320kb mp3 cant compare to minidisc =). When I was doing it tough I sold the other 6 minidisc recorders I owned, it had to be done, and they were all portables. A home unit would be nice one day.
Derek: I have a pair of Sony portables. My very first MD recording was recorded with my portable using an optic cable outputted from my X-brother-in-law's synthesizer organ. I have a few of his musical pieces on MD.

Hope you get some results from your MD portable.

Nando.

Nick Danger

I think I would be up for that MD trade in the near- future. I was hoping to sit down and start making my next mix over the next few weeks and will be glad to send you a disc if you would like one.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Robert: I would recommend to anyone who is interested in the MiniDisc format, to ensure they have a reasonable supply of MiniDiscs before committing to buying an MD deck. MiniDisc blanks are easier to find than Elcaset tapes, of which I have only a few Elcaset tapes and a nice Sony EL-7 begging to be played more.

Nando.

Glantoir

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
He doesn't say a whole lot.

I think I would be up for that MD trade in the near- future. I was hoping to sit down and start making my next mix over the next few weeks and will be glad to send you a disc if you would like one.
I would be happy to make up a mix MD for you. What are your musical preferences other than jazz?

BubbaH

Tagline
---
Hi Guys,

Ok, stupid question time....... Can you re-record to a MD disk or are they a write once format?

Thanks,
Robert
Yes they are re-recordable. In fact they can get many many uses before showing any signs of degradation.

Nick Danger

I would be happy to make up a mix MD for you. What are your musical preferences other than jazz?

I am up for anything really, with the exception of Country/ Western. How about yourself? Anything in particular you would like to hear?

Nick Danger

Side A: Grant Green~ Matador(LP)

Source: Audio Technica AT LP 240/ AT120E

Deck 1: JVC TD V662

Deck 2: Sony MDS JB 930

Tape: Maxell XL II 90
NR: No

MD: Sony Neige

Side 1: Elmo Hope~ Informal Jazz

Side 2: Hank Mobley~ Mobley's 2nd Message

Tape: Audio Pro Chrome 90

Side 1: Iron Maiden~ Self Titled

Side 2: Iron Maiden~ Killers

Tape: Audio Pro Chrome 90

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable

I am up for anything really, with the exception of Country/ Western. How about yourself? Anything in particular you would like to hear?
Well, shucks, I thought you might like that...

Nick Danger

Well, shucks, I thought you might like that...
Love some of it, (Johnny Cash), but am more into the jamgrass/ bluegrass thang for my twang. Probably like most of the folks here: If it's good, I'll give it a spin. No offense to all of your Country / Western fans out there. :silent:

Last edited:

Nick Danger

Elmo Hope Sextet~ Informal Jazz > Sony MDS JB920 > Sony MDS JB930 > JVC Crystal Green 74/ dB -2 peak