Mark's 4000t going through rework

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
Got Marks 4000t onto the bench last week. Tried to take a base-line test but the pots were so funky and dried out, I couldn't get it to settle down. So, I dove right in. It's getting the usual upgrades AND, the Remote Volume I just LOVE installing.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I then moved on to the Phono/Function Board. I did a recap, changed out the opamps with fresh 4136's from TI, I cleaned all the old flux off, and installed the EZGain Board, and inspected under magnification.

IMG_6317.jpg IMG_6318.jpg IMG_6319.jpg IMG_6320.jpg

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I laid all the parts out that need to fit in by the transformer. Can you say 6lbs of shit in a 1lb bag??? There's the Power Supply Module I use on all my builds, then the motor drive for the remote volume, then the On/Off Module and the motorized volume pot. This remote volume upgrade is the biggest PITA out of anything. I won't be ordering any more. The shaft has to be shortened, and then the flat has to be recut (In the right spot so it rests at the 7:00 O'clock position), all without damaging the new motorized pot. Thank God I kind of documented it so it's repeatable. The wires for the left and right volume (from the pot to the motherboard do not match the in/out the Chineeze dudes marked on the board the motor mounts to....... It took a few hours fingering out which were Left and which were Right, and more time figuring out the Ground, the Wiper etc....

IMG_6321.jpg

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I hope to have this in testing tomorrow. I got more pics and write-ups to post........ Mr. Lucitt, she'll be home in no time.... :)

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I got about 25 hours into it already.

She will be sporting a new black Face Plate to match his Clair Brothers WOPL (don't know where he got that) :)

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I got roughly 29 hours of work into the 4000t. The Remote stuff is a real time eater. All boards (except the Surround Board, it just got a recap) got new Opamps and recap along with scrubbing and reflow if necessary. I try not to alter/mess with the Surround Board. It has several obsolete parts on the board and the sandwiched boards are wired together with delicate ribbon cable and the less jostling, the less induced issues. I did rebuild one of these boards a while back and had FUN FUN FUN.... If it was me, I'd pull the Surround Board and be done with it. Only had one guy try it and he didn't like it..... 2 channel system with a surround board? Bob and his gimmicks.... It's Fake surround anyway (it gets a delay from the regular output and sends it back to where you would have another amp and speakers)......

Maybe I'll pull my surround board on my 4000t and see if I can get the pre even quieter.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Nice work Perry, Purdy as they say.

How's Sherry coming along? Healed yet?
Sherry will be down for the count for quite some time. They are still waiting for the bones to start coming back together and there is still a small gap but it is moving back into place and there is some fresh bone growth. Could be another month till they start using a WOPL to get the bones to grow together. The gap will never close but they will start growing fresh bone and finally meet up...... If it was me? I would have insisted on screws/plates...... She would be walking on it by now....

Wheel-right

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Man, Ya shoulda been here yesterday
Beautiful work on the 4000T, always above and beyond quality in the pieces you deal with. Sorry to hear about your wife's slow healing process, no one likes surgery but in some cases it is a better way to go. Hopefully it will heal well and not be a problem down the road. Our age doesn't help with quick bone growth either unfortunately.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
You would have insisted on oxygen free screws too Perry. Hope Sherry comes along soon, it is a long road back from those leg breaks. They have to support you.

mlucitt

All I can say is Wow, Wow, Wow. Much better than I had hoped for, she was a bit rough when she arrived. But WOPL Sniffer brought her back to life, gave her a 'comfortably numb' injection, and applied some new makeup. Now, she is a smokin' hot doll who stays very quiet. Who could want anything more?
I can't wait to apply some suitable mach 10 music and watch her stretch her new muscles...
Thanks, thanks, thanks WOPL Sniffer!