Mark embarks on the path of complete WOPLness

MarkWComer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
Is the BOM posted in the documents archive?
Anyway- got my kit today, and I have a backup system ready to go. My PL400/II sits 75% WOPLed and I'm getting ready to complete the remaining upgrade: the backplane kit!

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wvn4mqFdB08?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Is the BOM posted in the documents archive?
Anyway- got my kit today, and I have a backup system ready to go. My PL400/II sits 75% WOPLed and I'm getting ready to complete the remaining upgrade: the backplane kit!
In your email inbox Mark

MarkWComer

Tagline
In your email inbox Mark
Got 'em!

Minor detail: When I assembled the control board I elevated the high wattage resistors from the PC board slightly for better cooling. Is this a good idea for the backplane boards as well?

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Got 'em!

Minor detail: When I assembled the control board I elevated the high wattage resistors from the PC board slightly for better cooling. Is this a good idea for the backplane boards as well?
It does no harm Mark.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
This DENON looks like a serious piece of equipement!

It is a serious amp, and as Mark has said, he was second prize in a drawing we had here in memory of the passing of the founder of Phoenix---"The Larrt"....still dearly missed, and one of the worlds great "characters"...god bless im....

That amp got a complete test suite on the AP, its a good amp , but in my estimation, I would rather have a 400 or 700...

Mark, did I forget to throw in the test results??

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
I'm kinda embarrassed about putting that in the cabbage case without putting it in a garbage sack first....

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
It is a serious amp, and as Mark has said, he was second prize in a drawing we had here in memory of the passing of the founder of Phoenix---"The Larrt"....still dearly missed, and one of the worlds great "characters"...god bless im....
I miss him every day, crusty crumeion old fart Larrt!!!

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
It's at least a seriously freakin' heavy one! 200 WPC into 8Ω, dual-mono chassis. I actually won this beast through this forum!
Not as heavy as a Spec 2 which is what I have used the big cabbage case for in the past. The latest trip before yours was sending a Teac 3340 to Sam...

MarkWComer

Tagline
Mark, did I forget to throw in the test results??
No, but the test results were posted on the lottery thread- I can grab them from there.

I'm kinda embarrassed about putting that in the cabbage case without putting it in a garbage sack first....
Can the foam be replaced? Check it out when you get your case back, it doesn't spring back when you press on it. Made a hell of a mess!

Friction plus no lube equals removal of material - or so I've heard. :confused1:
Or at least some nasty looking blisters...

MarkWComer

Tagline
Final stage of WOPLification begins..

First stage: Transistor sockets and threaded standoffs completed. The standoffs were a high-octane sphincter pain, but I arrived at a method that worked for me. I intended to start the board components today but got an offer for a new bed- FREE! Couldn't pass up a deal like that!

Anyway, herewith presented for your critique:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Vnu-CH-fjZw?list=UULm_wZPxQgs5XMScFk3pvpg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

MarkWComer

Tagline
Built one of the PL400 backplane boards today, finally connected the Denon up. Yes- very nice! Decent punch to the bass, sharp highs without any shrillness. Been running about 2 hours and not excessively hot, and that's at a decent volume level (no power meters to know exactly how it's driving). I did hit the limit on my woofers a couple times playing a Kraftwerk LP.

Drawbacks: Input jacks! Why the hell did they put the output jacks ~12" apart? I didn't wanna split a cable pair, so I'm using two separate cables. I like output meters, they're not on this amp.

Output seems to be very well protected- not only is there a startup relay, but the A/B speaker selectors are also relay driven. Double protection? Dual mono design- I like that!

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
The bass is the reason I didn't keep the amp. It exhibits less control over the lows compared to a WOPL...I guess I'm just spoilt...