Looking forward to upgrading my quality in audio. I will probably be asking a tonne of questions, which I hope is fine!

Jason Finley

New Around These Parts
Hey everybody!
I recently picked up some great old speakers by WEB PHOENIX #AMP 222 175 WATT Speakers. The mids are shot.
Possibly looking for replacements. Would this be cost effective?
What would you say they're worth, complete and cost to buy new-used mids?

Thanks kindly fellow philes! 1889067-11fabcae-rare-web-phoenix-speakers-wilsdon-engineering-bros-made-in-north-vancouver-ea...jpg

62vauxhall

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
I've had and moved out a few pair of WEB speakers after restoration. I am familiar with the brand having grown up in North Van when WEB speaker production was probably at it's peak. Not many would appreciate the brand but almost everyone would appreciate the cabinetry. Nice pieces of furniture.

The last pair of my WEB speakers to sell were some P10's. No where near as large as your Pheonix but still floor standers with sloped front, walnut veneer enclosures. They positevely glowed and despite them sounding better than stock after I installed EPI inverted dome tweeters. it was the cabinets that sold them.

For $300.

Forum member and Administrator Nando (elite-ist) has or used to have a pair of WEB Pheonix I think.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
I still have my Web Phoenix speakers. I was told the speaker drivers were CTS. They should look like these:

DSC02387_zpsxdnncb5a.jpg
DSC02388_zpsz0idw2aa.jpg

And a video of them playing:

The mid range drivers should be easy to replace. You need to get a part number off the back of the driver to research a direct replacement, but it looks like your drivers aren't the originals.

Nando.

Jason Finley

New Around These Parts
I've had and moved out a few pair of WEB speakers after restoration. I am familiar with the brand having grown up in North Van when WEB speaker production was probably at it's peak. Not many would appreciate the brand but almost everyone would appreciate the cabinetry. Nice pieces of furniture.

The last pair of my WEB speakers to sell were some P10's. No where near as large as your Pheonix but still floor standers with sloped front, walnut veneer enclosures. They positevely glowed and despite them sounding better than stock after I installed EPI inverted dome tweeters. it was the cabinets that sold them.

For $300.

Forum member and Administrator Nando (elite-ist) has or used to have a pair of WEB Pheonix I think.
BTW, welcome to Phoenix Audio...but sorry about your wallet.

Those speakers look like they're worth new mids - all four of them.
Thanks for your input. This was a pic from someone elses speakers, I found online. Mine are in way better shape. I will post actual pics of the 2 1 have. Theyre in MUCH better shape than these pictured.

Jason Finley

New Around These Parts
I still have my Web Phoenix speakers. I was told the speaker drivers were CTS. They should look like these:

View attachment 54979
View attachment 54980

And a video of them playing:

The mid range drivers should be easy to replace. You need to get a part number off the back of the driver to research a direct replacement, but it looks like your drivers aren't the originals.

Nando.
Thanks for your input! I'm mulling over selling them. What do you think they'd be worth as is, roughly?

Last edited:

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Tough speakers to sell as not many audio guys know anything about them - probably about $200-300 CAD for the pair. My wife bought mine a number of Christmases ago for $200.

Nando.

Jason Finley

New Around These Parts
Tough speakers to sell as not many audio guys know anything about them - probably about $200-300 CAD for the pair. My wife bought mine a number of Christmases ago for $200.

Thanks Nando. Sounds like repair and keep, would be the way to roll
Cheers!

Nando.[/QUOTT

Nando.