Looking for replacement VR’s PL 700 R7 & R17

AngrySailor

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---not quite right
Trying to bring up a mint PL 700 that’s been sitting in it’s original box most of its life. The vr’s R 7 and R 17. Looking for replacements. Also what should they be adjusted to for initial power up. The originals are shot.
Bet the power supply caps are shot too... did you try some cleaner and run them back and forth? Do you have the service manual? And welcome btw.

A.S.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Bias Adjust Pot- Mouser#- 531-pt15b-5k

What makes ya think they are shot? While lookinh at the slotted side of the pot with leads down, counterclockwise should be reduced position. Go halfway until you know for sure...

Jefferylhenry

New Around These Parts
9EC7CC6C-FE9B-4BE3-BAD6-24B50B4FBAFA.jpeg Yes, I have the manual. But, it doesn’t have a parts list. This unit has set in it’s original box for ever. I tried to set the offset and it’s all over the place jumping from - to + with just a touch of the vr. I hit them with D5 and will get back to it in the am. I have restored enough units to know when the vr’s need to be replaced. This is my first PL, I mostly do Luxman, McIntosh, Marantz, Sansui. Not sure what else will be needed. Just opend everything up this afternoon. Finished the 4000 preamp this morning. They were both still wrapped in the original plastic. I am not a flipper nor is this my day job, I just like to hear notable pieces in their true form. 200+ mv on left and right. I could get it down close to zero but the slightest touch and it would jump + or - by 70mv. It dim bulbed fine and was stable for main line draw. I haven’t pulled the vr’s but incircuit they are all over the place.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Yep, I'd replace em too...even with new pots, those adjustments can be a bit sensitive...

AngrySailor

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---not quite right
I could not adjust Tim within spec under all conditions till I put the WO board in.

Jefferylhenry

New Around These Parts
Yes I reflowed all the main 4000 solder points. Hit all the pots and it’s clean and sweet now. I also got the 700 to spec by working R7 and 17 with deoxit. Confirming stable vr and about 3 hours adjusting back and forth. Got it into a 10mv +- range B6B804CD-0A36-4312-AABC-1A9D8B5758B2.jpeg