Long time lurker, first time post'r

Geegz

Journeyman
Tagline
---there is no replacement for displacement
Been lurking around the site for a while now gathering intelligence. Looking forward to spending some time here, extremely knowledgeable crew on the forum! Currently have 2 PL400's i purchased and used for a few years in the early 90's but have been in storage now for some time and looking forward to "bringing them up to par"

Self proclaimed "newbie" when it comes to working on electronics, most of my technical background has been wrenching on motorcycle race engines.

thanks for taking me into your forum.

Greg

Fishoz

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Always learning!
Welcome Greg. Don't think there is a better place for you to be but right here. Good start with the 400's....enough to get you in trouble. Dust them puppies off and get 'em singing is the first thing. Good luck with everything, the fun starts now!

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Love it when a long time lurker joins up, cause they obviously know what sarcastic and and smart-ass birches we are....so Fish don't have to tell em...

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I feel like George Noory asking did you have a hard time getting though on the East Coast line...:toothy5:

Welcome to Coast To Coast WOPL!

Geegz

Journeyman
Tagline
Thanks everyone. Already caught the bug, boards ordered from Joe and DCP has arrived already. One of the 400's getting the full WOPL. Not sure on the 2nd one as the more time I spend on the forum I get the feeling of inadequesy of running a 400 and not a 700.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Thanks everyone. Already caught the bug, boards ordered from Joe and DCP has arrived already. One of the 400's getting the full WOPL. Not sure on the 2nd one as the more time I spend on the forum I get the feeling of inadequesy of running a 400 and not a 700.
That was quick.

Some of the guys know how you feel on having a small one (they used to get laughed at in the locker room) LOL

700 and a WOPL kit = good times for all..............

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
I can clip a 400 on my corner horns , which some folks say is insane anyway, but I have not clipped a 700 on them. I melt voice coils in the woofers first. Yep, I like physically interactive sound levels....

Fishoz

Tagline
Always learning!
That was quick.

Some of the guys know how you feel on having a small one (they used to get laughed at in the locker room) LOL

700 and a WOPL kit = good times for all..............

Hey...I resemble that remark!!!!

400 does me fine - no complaints (except from the neighbors). She's just so sweet sounding I see no need (at this time) for more. Personal preference, no knock on the 700 and not saying that may change someday.

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
You'll blow your ears out kid
Good choice going full WOPL when you get the parts Joe sends you you will be blown away by the quality of the parts that are second to non and the way he designed it and laid it out where everything just seems to flow together is brilliant. Good luck with your build.

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Welcome Greg! I love the 400s too, they will always have a place in my heart because they sound so pure but for now I am running a Clair 700 WOPL1000 and enjoy the extra power available

Geegz

Journeyman
Tagline
So what your sayin Fishoz, 400 is good as its all about how you use it? Lol

I don't know, that Roxanne that WOPL Sniffer has sure look impressive.

Fishoz

Tagline
Always learning!
Both are impressive units. Both will be limited by weaknesses in your system (pre, speakers) and you will find yourself searching for the sound you want to hear.

My search started with my B&W's needing more power (200wpc recommended minimum) bringing me to a stock 400 (which sang like a bird to me) but then I came here......nothing left of my original system of 3years ago now.

Lee did a fantastic job on a 400 (Rev E) for me (he trashed my original 400 when I brought it out to him). I guess that if and when I get fatigued listening to the 400 I would replace with a 700 (only because...?). There is no need at this point.

Roxanne is a very nice unit, would love to have her...just not at this time.

I'm sure Lee has foundation cracks starting in his basement due to his 700 and the K's but man, does it sound nice - it literally was a sonic and physical experience.

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
HA! Atlanta of all places!

I used to live in Cumming, lived there for almost 11 years!

...horrible traffic, though...

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Yeah, but you traded traffic jams for tropical storm fronts ;)

Geegz

Journeyman
Tagline
I traded tropical storms for traffic jams, was in South Florida for 20 years, Atlanta now for 6 years.

Mark,

thanks for your youtube videos on your 400 build, went through them all and pretty sure I will reference them a few times on my build.......SKINNY BOY!!!

MarkWComer

Tagline
Yeah, but you traded traffic jams for tropical storm fronts ;)
The one we had last October was awful. In my immediate area lawns were flooded, but not much else- and the water stayed well into November.

MarkWComer

Tagline
thanks for your youtube videos on your 400 build, went through them all and pretty sure I will reference them a few times on my build.......SKINNY BOY!!!
I do YouTube for fun. Don't get many views and nothing has gone viral, it's just something fun to do. Glad to hear that someone's getting some use from them!
Umm... that's skinny boy with electrophobia...

Eventually I want to do a 700, but in the meantime I really love the outcome and sound from the 400. This is the stereo that I wanted for a looooong time.

Lazarus Short

Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
Greetings, Greg, from ye Red Knight!

I'm one of the unwashed here, not owning a Phase Linear amp, though I used to have a 2000 pre. I'm in a slow drift toward Yamaha amplification, owning two amps and one receiver. For some reason or other, they come cheap, used. Unlike some of our resident crazies, I don't melt voicecoils, having only 130 wpc total in a biamp setup.