Lets start some $hit..

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
Granny's Cement Pond ! Yes, I have not thought of or seen the Hillbilly's in a great long while. Thats why I started this mess, you guys are crafty ! Well not only that I really would like to know what you all think on this one. Orange, so far I am with you on what you said. I have a Parasound HCA 1206 sitting in storage right now that I liked so much that after I put in all new filters I decided that I would totally re cap.That was a mistake. It played really great for at least two weeks then I lost a channel . Those mosfets are hard to find if not impossible from what I have found. I have looked at and over everything I have done there and I cannot find anything that I did wrong to this day so, I still do not know what it will take to fix it. http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/173259/parasound-hca-1206-re-cap
If i read that right.... you used a drill on a multilayer board and expected it to work? I think you were in over your head if you have not worked on multi-layer boards. If you didnt get enough heat from your soldering iron and had to PRY/DRILL them out of the board, you were doomed rom the start. How about a good picture of the board. On the ground plane (where one side of the power supply caps were attached to) can take a shitload of heat to make them flow. Were the caps snap-ins? If yes, then you have the added burden of a tight fit to begin with. If you damaged a PTH, junk it.....

Huh????

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
Yup, a 4000t. I got it hooked to a Fresh WOPL I'm doing burn in on for a customer. Had to put some fans on it as I'm pushing it kinda hard. Sounds grrrreat.....
DUH... No, on the FRESH WOPL I just bu9ilt hooked to the new 4000t

HUH?????
With you guys building 1000W amps, I would have not doubted you if you built pre amps with fans. And I sure would have wanted to see it, hear it and know all about it ! You cats do things that I had no Idea were even possible before I came to the site. Very cool shit. A fan joke ? Cool shit...Not a good one but not a bad try for 6:00 AM.

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
Not exactly. I used the drill bit after I put the heat to them and pulled them out. Many times I had to use it because I could not seem to get all the solder out of the holes with heat alone. I used the bit by hand and turned it backwards to remove whatever solder was left. I most likely was in over my head as I did not know at the time anything at all about a multi-layer boards in home audio equipment. All the stuff I had played with up to that point was single layer. I did use a meter to check for continuity from the part (after soldering in the new part) to the traces surrounding the new part but I could have easily made a mistake there. Eyes and hands ain't what they used to be. The main filter caps were screw in type, well the ones that came out anyhow and the new ones were snap in that I soldered in place but the amp worked for years after I did the power supply board. Only after I re capped the driver boards did I have the lost channel and that was weeks after I did the job. I have no I idea what a PHT is. I am unable to upload images now but I would be happy if you were able to take a look for me.

62vauxhall

Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
My introduction to multi-layer boards was here too. I learned the hard way about those tiny little inserts inside the holes. Hopefully you did not dislodge any like I did.

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
Ment to upload some pics of the boards on the 1206 but Mama Ann went to the ER. Been here off and on all day. Nothing life threatening so later on as soon as I can I am gonna upload a few.

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
Looks like Mama Ann will be all well soon. she is already at the rehab hospital one of my best friends helps run and is walking around already. So, now to post an image or two of the HCA 1206. This thing is fun to work on. If you need more images I will take them and send them on up. I already took quite a few and have them in storage on a secondary drive. Guess what I mean is this. If I need to I have no problem taking it back down but as of now its back together sitting in storage.
20160615_015008.jpg 20160615_015018.jpg 20160615_015103.jpg

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Dang..... Hey joe,why do we spend so much time on our wiring of WOPL's? It can't matter too much... see what comes out of the Parasound Labs???? I definitely do not want to work on one.... :sad2:

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
That's got more spaghetti than Super Mario Bros...

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Looks like Mama Ann will be all well soon. she is already at the rehab hospital one of my best friends helps run and is walking around already. So, now to post an image or two of the HCA 1206. This thing is fun to work on. If you need more images I will take them and send them on up. I already took quite a few and have them in storage on a secondary drive. Guess what I mean is this. If I need to I have no problem taking it back down but as of now its back together sitting in storage.
View attachment 30966 View attachment 30967 View attachment 30968

That's a point to point nightmare....