Large Radiating Area

R1200S

Journeyman
Tagline
Smoke and mirrors baby!
Within the past couple of years I saw a center channel speaker build (I think in Parts Express, Speaker Project Gallery) that caught my attention. It wasn’t so much about the build but the principle behind the design. The builder/designer placed great emphasis on that center channel with good reason. His reasoning was that a large percentage of the total sound produced by most home theater systems comes from that center channel.

His design was LARGE for a center channel speaker. The largest I’ve ever seen. At least a 2-way system, probably a 3-way. Woofers were 6 ½†minimum but most likely 8â€. There were 4 of these across the front baffle with the mids and tweets in the center, D’Appolito style. His premise was that to handle the amount of information that should be produced via that center channel speaker, you need a LARGE radiating area. Of course his own listening tests were glowing about his design.

So this “large radiating area†got me thinking. Could this be a contributing factor to our impressions of speaker quality and satisfaction? I’m fairly new to these parts but I get the feeling there’s not a lot of screechy little studio monitors in this group. More like multiple 15†woofs, big ass horns, with multiple mids and tweets. One of my most satisfying sets of speakers was a first generation set of Magnaplaners. BIG radiating area plus that dipole effect. Could this large radiating area be a contributing factor in listener satisfaction with planer magnetics and electrostatics? How about some of those big line arrays we see as well as just BIG speakers. I’m thinking of the old JBL L200 and 4300 series of studio speakers as well as the bigger Klipsch and Infinities. Monsters!

So this may die with this single post of mine but I’d love to hear opinions about this “large radiating area†and its contribution to our listening satisfaction. It sounds plausible to me but I don’t recall ever hearing anything about this in ANY speaker review I’ve ever read. Does a big speaker sound better, fuller, at lower volume levels? Are we trading off dynamics for that large radiating area? What do you think?

Lazarus Short

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
I remember a speaker review in Stereophile - it was for Magnapans IIRC. They used the term "massive wave launch," which is close to your terminology, I think. The so-called Kabuki speakers of years past had a lot of radiating area too. On the other hand, my Mission 70's have small woofers/tweeters and are wonderfully musical.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't line arrays trying to create massive air movement with multiple small drivers? And again I think it's what you prefer. I had a set of Ohm Model "F"'s, Cerwin-Vega D-9's, some Heresy's, and my beloved K's. They all brought something different to the table, and the only one which did everything best was the K's.

Ed Blackwood and I have talked about this quite a bit. He refers to it as "sonic impact", a combination of SPL's , dynamic range and frequency response. Speakers are sooooooo personal in my book. And soooooooooo dependent on room acoustics that what sounds good in my mancave may not sound good elsewhere. It's a shame that not many speaker companies will let you try them at home. Ohm Acoustics is the only one I know of that will, although there may be more. I haven't heard a set of electrostatics, I would like too.....

R1200S

Journeyman
Tagline
Smoke and mirrors baby!
Thanks everyone. I think some of us are old enough and lucky enough to have been able to listen to some of the classic older speakers in our time. I really miss the multitude of stereo dealers out there. I can still remember listening to the first Quads I'd ever seen, Infinity QRS, JBL Paragons, and others.
Sonic impact may be the term I was looking for and I didn't mean to imply that smaller speakers didn't have that. You're right, it's such a combination of factors it's probably a miracle we get as close as we do.