La Scalla industrials

Geegz

Journeyman
Tagline
---there is no replacement for displacement
Found these on my local CL, I am in process of turning my "mid-fi" system into a "hi-fi" system and just asking for an opinions here.

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/ele/5767866687.html

Not the best looking but how would they compare to the home version? He thinks they are from the late 80's. I think this is the direction I want to go with loudspeakers and have seen plans to build them from scratch.

Thoughts on pricing for this particular pair and general thoughts if they are 25-30 years old?Thoughts on building from scratch? Component cost and availability?

Any input is always appreciated!!!

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
All replacement drivers and crossovers can be had from Bob Crites @ Crites speakers....not a bad speaker either...

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
25-30 years old should not be held against them. Crossovers could use a rebuild but that doesn't amount to much. If local pickup then demo those buggers!!

BubbaH

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Never seen these industrial version before. I prefer the look of those than the wood to be honest.

Geegz

Journeyman
Tagline
Thanks everyone.

I checked out the Bob Crites site (thanks Lee) to price out components, looks like new components depending on which crossover option you get would be around $1200 (plus shipping) and that would be without a cabinet ($200 material plus some labor) so would guess a sub $1500 build and all new components but then add labor (or beer money in my case to use a buddies wood shop).

these still could be an option but would have to demo them and expect to rebuild at least the aging crossover first.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
There's only a couple caps in those crossovers that might need some attention...

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
On speaker caps, just check em with an ESR meter and go, not that much to a crossover, resistors are easy to check....

Tagline
---
I have no experience with the La Scala personally but literally everyone tells me that they are lacking in the low end of the bass. If you are considering just building Cornscala I would go that way, seems to me that they are better anyway.

Geegz

Journeyman
Tagline
I will look at the Cornscalla's also. My preference for music is less bass heavy anyway. HT I like more bass but these will be for a separate 2 channel dedicated music system.

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
I will look at the Cornscalla's also. My preference for music is less bass heavy anyway. HT I like more bass but these will be for a separate 2 channel dedicated music system.
Cornscala's rock and Even if Bob and his crew build them they are only $1800.00 completed, ready to ship.

Very nice price for a killer set of speaks.

THD+N

Journeyman
Everyone tells me that they are lacking in the low end of the bass.
In stock configuration this may be a true statement. It depends on your listening habits. When I first acquired my pair of 1974 La Scala's, I was listening to a pair of Heresy's (1977). The La Scala's sounded "bigger and better" but they did lack a bit in the low-end. After porting the La Scala's (and using active EQ) per advice on the Klipsch forum, the bottom end of the La Scala's is much better and what I would call "normal" now.

Lifting the entire speaker off of the floor about 4" also helped the bass and sound quality a lot. I put 4" rubber wheel casters on each speaker to lift them and make them easier to move.

With a 400 or 700 connected to the ported La Scala's, you would think you were in a night club. Clean, clear and massive SPL.

On the other hand, if you have a low power tube amp, the La Scala's will sound great too, just at a lower volume.