Krell KSA-250

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
Started putzing with the Krell. Some of the Emitter resistors were overheated, and some of the factory soldering is in need of some help. The planes on the boards are fairly large and require some heat from the soldering iron. I think some spots may need 2 irons to get good flow. I just ordered some parts to start doing some work on the amp.

K5.jpg K4.jpg K3.jpg K2.jpg

Attachments

mlucitt

Ooof! Maybe they shoulda stood those resistors off on that relay board.....
It looks to me that the heat came from the relay coils...
In any case the radial capacitors near the relays look baked too. I wonder if Krell spec'd 125 deg temps for those caps?

Last edited:

mlucitt

Nope. Those 700 Ohm resistors run at about 400 degrees.
Well then, the Krell is both an amplifier and a small room heater. Trying to imagine the wattage and the amperage involved.
At 400 degrees, those relay flyback diodes are completely useless, leaking voltage beginning at 175 degrees C, or 260 degrees F.
May want to lift them off the board as well.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
So I sent Krell a request for the schematics for this KSA-250. The COO kindly pointed out that there was a sticker on the amp that said "No User Servicable Parts Inside" an I should take my amp to an AUTHORIZED" service shop and they would "Sort" my amp out. Fuck Krell. What a bunch of pompus twats.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
So I sent Krell a request for the schematics for this KSA-250. The COO kindly pointed out that there was a sticker on the amp that said "No User Servicable Parts Inside" an I should take my amp to an AUTHORIZED" service shop and they would "Sort" my amp out. Fuck Krell. What a bunch of pompus twats.
I am sure you are 'shocked' by their response Perry... :)