Klipsch La Scala Project

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
I promised I would start thread to memorialize the restoration of a pair of OLD La Scalas. I bought the cabinets from a guy through eBay for about a hundred dollars...also happened to be in St. Augustine Florida....and the cabs were in Jacksonville. It was only a few miles up the road. They were in pretty bad shape, and did have some age on them. I have finally gotten around 'tuit..

So............here we go....

Attachments

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
Kevin is helping me, and we have put a few coats of wood filler on the cabinets, and let that cure, and then sanded with a palm sander. I am still torn over whether or not to do the "doghouse mod" or just leave them au naturel...

Attachments

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
I put a coat of Sanding Sealer on the cabinet, but in so doing, I found some more places which need some wood putty, so it's back to the putty knife. I failed to get pictures, but as soon as it stops raining here, I'll be on it, and get some pictures.

I did get the crossovers from Al at ALK Engineering, and darn if they aren't much smaller than the original Universals. The inductors are all a much smaller gauge, with one even being a iron core. I'm sure they will be fine, but now I understand the cost difference in the ones Lee made (the Original Universals and the Economy ones) and these.

Still gotta decide to Mod or not to Mod... if I do the Mod, it sure would be much easier just to cut the tops off the original cabinet and replace it....but my plan was to glue in some pieces to the original cutouts for the midrange horn and tweeter. And I'll have to build a new enclosure for the Mids and tweets. I may just put them back the way the were originally designed.....and then build the KHorns...

Last edited:

kevin

Forum Veteran and Hillbilly
OK.... GOING TO LET MY LITTLE BUDDY HAVE IT HERE !!!!!! Sutton should have named this thread the La Scala .... CURFEW.... rebuild !!!! LMAO,,, He is so limited to when he can work on them... They are in my garage and he can only come work on them when the wife is not home... 4;30 is about as late as he can work on them in the eve... And weekends..... That depends on what she is doing... LOL..... BUT !!!!! He DID work on them this past Sunday and yesterday !!!!! I got some more pics on my phone here I will post in a sec !!!! I may go home this eve and not have a garage after this !!!!! lol.. :hello1:

kevin

Now... Last night he said the wife only woorks half a day... Didn't know if he would have time to work on them today or not... Our plans are to paint them sunday... I'll try to keep yall posted and get more pics.... All the parts are laying there to go in these things... X-overs and all... Ill post pics of X-overs tomorrow !!!!

kevin

Yea they do !!!!! AH !!!! I'm just trying to keep this thread alive... LOL... I hate when somebody starts a build thread and just dissapears... :angryfire::sleepy2:

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
Now after sanding and before the next coat of primer...I want them to look good, but I also want to hear them sometime soon. Sanded first with 80 grit, then 120 grit, and finally with 220. Thanks to Kevin who helped out tremendously in steering me the right direction. I worked a couple of days during the week, and Kev would hit them at night...

Attachments