Just had a WTF moment

Northwinds

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Sitting here cranking the piss out of the WOPL500 listening to Firehouse's debut album. I mean REALLY cranking it as lately I have just been turning the volume until the needles are more or less flat with little movement. Anyway, after about a half hour of that, I went over and turned it down a few notches. Sat at my computer here reading threads and suddenly SILENCE

I run over to the amp and the meters are still doing their thing, everything is still playing. I shut it down and check the speaker fuses... they are fine. Now I am thinking something is fucked hard but I go over and fire everything up and BOOM there it is sounding just fine

I have to thank CV for the internal protections that are in this set of speakers. I must have really heated up the crossovers and they just said ENOUGH. I am running 5A fastblo fuses in the fuse holders where the speaker terminals are located in them so the internals must operate independently at a lower rating. Beats smoking something

Just goes to show a WOPL500 can take out 300w speakers in a heartbeat without pushing max power. That's dynamics at it's greatest. I have not been using the EQ, DSS-100 or the dbx 1BX at all lately. Just flat and loud

I have come to the conclusion I need at least 4 700B's or 8 400's and a huge set of Altecs to satisfy my listening demands. Pretty bad when your so used to volume levels that make most people cringe. It sounds so damn clear though and that volume knob beckons, especially since half way is all this amp has seen. Speakers are holding me back at the moment, I need some 15" 400+ wpc monsters at least

Last edited:

Lazarus Short

Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
You should move your speaker crossovers outboard and set up muffin fans blowing on them, to keep them cool.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
If your speakers BURN, your EARS and WALLET are close behind.

orange

Tagline
I believe the CV's did exactly what they were supposed to do and plying them with another drink won't help. :la:

orange

Tagline
<iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/tCP1si4X4aQ?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe> :shaking2: