Just BIN'd a Nak ZX-9 Deck

braxus

Journeyman
I have been wanting a Nak (either Dragon or this deck) for a while now. I saw this on Ebay this morning and he only wanted $900 US for it. These decks have been listing around $1500-2000 lately. So I saw an opportunity and asked him if he can take payment for it on July 15th. He said yes, so I BIN'd it now and will make payment next month.

It looks to be in good shape other then someone's security number on the back. I hope I can cover that up. Its been sitting idle for the last 2.5 years, so its probably going to need to be checked over. The serial number on the back, does that tell anyone when this deck was made?

Attachments

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Very nice one, Scott. I spotted the ad. I guess you weren't considering on having it serviced on the seller's recommendation, at a tech near him, before sending it your way?

Nando.

BlazeES

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Get it dialed in

... and live in analog bliss ... "to the 9's "

Elite-ist

Staff member
Once Scott gets his Nakamichi ZX-9 dialed in, he and I are contemplating a sort of Mix Tape Challenge using our "newest" decks. I have a very nice Pioneer CT-A9X on its way and we are both going to get some practice in before the Challenge. The Nakamichi ZX-9 and Pioneer CT-A9X were in production at about the same time period.

I should update members, here, on other decks I've acquired in recent months. I have four components up for consignment sale at Innovative Audio to fund these latest additions to my stereo system.

Nando.

braxus

Journeyman
Yes I'm looking into options to see who can service the deck. Dan may be the choice, but will depend if he accepts or not. I'm not sure when the ZX-9 will be in my hands Nando. Depends when the servicing can be done, depending on if their is a long wait for backlog or not.

Elite-ist

Staff member
You were quick in getting your Pioneer CT-F950 on craigslist. I hope you can get it sold quickly.

Nando.

Elite-ist

Staff member
You are going to laugh at this - and this is no BS - but last night I had a dream I got a Nakamichi Dragon for $50 and a couple of car brochures on two muscle cars from the same seller. What is the significance? I don't know.

Nando.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
50 bucks for a Dragon. That is a dream. Yeah I got it on Craigslist. No sense spending any more money on it. I don't need 5 decks.
Hey, easy, now... the wall of Pioneers behind me is looking at me funny now.

derek92994

Tagline
Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed
Congrats on the ZX-9, my dream recording deck. I decided to start small with a nice BX-300. A ZX-9 and Dragon is on the cards for the future, but not for some time. I hope this ZX-9 turns out well for you, classic transport and incredible recording capability.

braxus

Journeyman
The deck will be paid for and sent to Dan in 2 weeks time. I have noticed yet another ZX-9 on Ebay for $999 that has been refurbished. Yet his is not in the best condition as mine was.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Scott: When a deck doesn't look cosmetically OK, that turns me off a deal. I haven't had the urge to buy a TOTL Nakamichi deck. Just sticking with Pioneer, but I sure like to hear all the different brands and models of decks out there via mix tape exchanges.

Nando.

braxus

Journeyman
Yeah. I lucked out my ZX-9 looks very clean for its age. The one on Ebay now looks a little rough. I've bought stereo pieces less then perfect, but its usually because getting mint is either rare or expensive. I might just use this ZX-9 to do my tape to tape transfer of the Jazz on those XLI-S tapes I have before using the tapes for other recordings. I still have plans to send you a couple of those tapes, whenever I get to doing this. With the postal strike of Canada Post looming, I won't be getting my ZX-9 anytime soon. But Dan said his backlog is a couple months, so its most likely I'll get the deck late summer.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Don't minimize your score man. A fully tuned and clean looking BX-300 is far from being small. :happy2:

Congrats on the ZX-9, my dream recording deck. I decided to start small with a nice BX-300. A ZX-9 and Dragon is on the cards for the future, but not for some time. I hope this ZX-9 turns out well for you, classic transport and incredible recording capability.

Last edited:

braxus

Journeyman
The BX-300 I'm told is a very good deck indeed. My Tandberg uses a playback head from one of those I believe. I was going to get a Dragon, but had second thoughts and got the ZX-9 instead. One deck is best for playback and the other best for recording. Depends what you want for yours. That said I will still be using my Tandberg for recording most of my tapes. I want to standardize my collection on one deck.

derek92994

Tagline
Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed
Don't minimize your score man. A fully tuned and cleaning looking BX-300 is far from being small. :happy2:
True, am very happy with the 300 and it is not small, it was a wise purchase without going crazy on money. The ZX-9 gives the keys to the kingdom in the recording department, if I were to get one in the future, I would not re-record my bx-300 recordings as they are excellent as is. However I am re-recording most of my JVC recordings on the 300 because there is a huge difference there, discrete heads can be tuned so well and this one is dialed in good.

braxus

Journeyman
You were quick in getting your Pioneer CT-F950 on craigslist. I hope you can get it sold quickly.

Nando.
Just sold the 950 deck on Craigslist. I was asking $250 and he offered $200 for it. I took the offer, since there was practically no interest on this deck from anyone else. So I took a $175 cut from what I paid for it a few months ago. Live and learn. I'm glad its gone though, and I can use the $200 towards the ZX-9. He was also a vintage Pioneer nut like you Nando, as he asked if I had other Pioneer gear.

Elite-ist

Staff member
That's good news, Scott, as I see many decks languish on craigslist in that price range. Not good news you took a hit to the wallet unloading it. Good to hear there's at least a couple of Pioneer lovers out there. Probably not someone I already know.

Your ZX-9 should keep you happy for awhile once it's done.

Nando.

braxus

Journeyman
That's good news, Scott, as I see many decks languish on craigslist in that price range. Not good news you took a hit to the wallet unloading it. Good to hear there's at least a couple of Pioneer lovers out there. Probably not someone I already know.

Your ZX-9 should keep you happy for awhile once it's done.

Nando.
Yeah he lives in Kelowna. He stopped through town here on his way back home. He loves vintage Pioneer. Im not happy I lost almost 1/2 my funds selling the deck, but as mentioned I'm glad its gone.