John McCain

He did predict it, although I don't think he went out on a limb to do it. Putin talked about it before he did it, and what he did in Chechnya foretold Putin's ambitions. He was never shy about wanting the old Soviet union back, and Ukraine is important to him, as far as the ports and other strategic areas that he sees as a buffer zone between NATO countries and him.

Honestly Ukraine should've seen this coming, and prepared for it years ago, although they did prepare it wasn't enough. Did they think that Putin wasn't serious, did they think that months before he was mounting an army on their border that he wasn't going in? Let alone talking about it for a long time.

Russia has some good military, although they only have a handful of the top weapons in the world, the rest of their army is corrupt, not trained well, and forced into a war that many of them are related to, and consider neighbors not enemies. Russia's economy is roughly the same as the state of Texas, and he's getting his hat handed to him in my opinion. Also in my opinion he knows if he uses nukes the party's over, and basically that's all he has, in a ground war, and in an air war with NATO he would get decimated and he knows it. Unlike the US, and most militaries of the world we start at the bottom and escalate, Russia's mentality, like North Korea and some of their neighbors is too threaten at the top level and then de-escalate.

Hope I didn't get too political, this kind of hits home because my ancestry is from that area of the world.

edit; just corrected spelling errors.

Last edited: