Joe's New Rev C board

Skratch

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Life is short, so take your time
Joe's new rev C board works great, easily biased and NO MORE TURN ON OR TURN OFF THUMP

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Just got done with " Go forth and Populate" this board. Seems less crowded even with the increased component count. Easier to navigate as you populate. Only took 2-1/2 hours to do. Don't know why. A lot of component changes, my storage needs to be relabeled. Don't like the little purple caps, jeez they're butt ugly.Like the yellow originals we were getting from Mouser.
Why the MPSA 92??
Nice job on the hole locations and size. This one will get put in Jer's White Oaked Phase Linear 1000 Serial Number 1 !!!!!!

Attachments

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Hey Lee

Those are the CDE retros, the official CD color before they were knuckled into beige conformity :)

I guess you have to love what the original CDE maroon color was. With retro, you know that ugly is in. I am quite sure that Jer will appreciate that vintage touch.

The MPSA92 is a better version of the MPSA93 (higher voltage, etc.) and I can get these from ON Semi, my personal favorite for reliability and quality, so I provided them to you to give me any feedback you desire about it. I intend to roll this out as an improvement across the board in our kits and assemblies. As we have discussed in other threads, I am committed to constantly improving the quality and reliability of the White Oak products whereever I can.

The other touch that you have in your build is the polycarbonate Wima's that you have populated in 4 of the boards location (the nice yellow ones). Wima gave up production of these premium polycarbs when the manufacturer of the dielectric quit making it and they could not find a suitable alternate manufacturer. I have only limited stock of these and when they are gone, they are gone.

Best of all Lee, I am glad you finally had some free time on your hands to get back to doing some of the things you love to do.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Yep Joe, got to sleep in for two days in a row. Got Larrt's Onix fixed, got Sutton's 400 packed, getting Kevin's 700 packed.
What is special about the polycarbonate? On the 92's, I knew they were a more robust part, didn't know you needed that robustness there.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Polycarbonates along with polystyrenes are considered by many to be the best for audio path work. Unfortunately they are very rare these days.

Polypropylenes are also excellent, don't get me wrong. If the opportunity presents itself to you on the Polycarbs or Polystyrenes, I recommend you consider taking it.

The A93 is more than adequate for the application Lee, it just goes along with the White Oak premise, if I can find a more reliable or higher quality part for the application and they are available, I will go for it. The A92 part is available, and from ON Semi so I went for it.

Similar to the 2N3439 choice, the 2N3440 device is adequate for the application but the 2N3439 is better and thus has more derating margin.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
I believe ya Joe and if we don't start using some they'll obsolete that sumbitch too!!

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
I save every polystryene from scrapped equipment. Thewy are pretty frail when it comes to solder temp but it can be managed(as you know). BTW, isn't it time to update your pic on e-bay??

mlucitt

Veteran and General Yakker
Joe,
I received the package of Rev C boards today. They are beautiful, I really like the thicker traces they give the board some real authority. The drilled holes for the wires look just right, but I will use the Phoenix connectors. I can't wait to get it populated and tested.

Thanks,