JBL L100's.. new??

bill7621

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF, y'all
Geez! I remember back in '74 or '75 when I auditioned a pair of these I didn't like the sound. It was described as the "California sound" and to me was bass heavy and slightly muffled. I think they were around $600 a pair or thereabouts. I chose Electro Voice Interface A's instead and still have them. They sounded (to me) so much better. I don't think they'll sell that many at that price.

THD+N

Journeyman
When I worked with the home audio group (Advent and AR) developing speakers, they would get sample speakers from our German sister company that were already in production. However, we had to change the crossover every time because the sample speakers had the "European sound", which in contrast to the West coast sound, was too much treble and bass shy. "Sound" is definitely regional.

I bought two JBL D-130 drivers awhile back and re-coned them. They are close spec wise to the originals. I built a ported enclosure with mid-range horn and horn tweeter (and a custom home-made cross-over) basically emulating the JBL 4331 monitors. The one speaker sounds awesome. It is like a Cornwall, but the bass is so much more articulate due to the D-130 woofer (with it's 4 inch voice coil and super strong magnetic field).

The classic JBL drivers were truly exceptional. You don't see too much engineering like that nowadays.

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
I've always wanted to try a pair of the L100's but That's a bit steep. You can still pick up a used set for $300-$400

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
such a bargain even at twice the price.... Huff the paint, throw the rock, and have a beer with me...........

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
When I worked with the home audio group (Advent and AR) developing speakers, they would get sample speakers from our German sister company that were already in production. However, we had to change the crossover every time because the sample speakers had the "European sound", which in contrast to the West coast sound, was too much treble and bass shy. "Sound" is definitely regional.

I bought two JBL D-130 drivers awhile back and re-coned them. They are close spec wise to the originals. I built a ported enclosure with mid-range horn and horn tweeter (and a custom home-made cross-over) basically emulating the JBL 4331 monitors. The one speaker sounds awesome. It is like a Cornwall, but the bass is so much more articulate due to the D-130 woofer (with it's 4 inch voice coil and super strong magnetic field).

The classic JBL drivers were truly exceptional. You don't see too much engineering like that nowadays.
Hi Nick
JBL were king.
You say one speaker sounded great. So what’s the story on the second or did I not get that right

Last edited:

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Those orange, cubed grills look sort of sick ... but that price ? L M A :laughing8:

You want even more laughs, read the ONE review.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Those were newly introduced last year at CES Vegas.

... and at 4K for the pair, they don't give you those stands either. o_O

THD+N

Journeyman
Hi Nick
JBL were king.
You say one speaker sounded great. So what’s the story on the second or did I not get that right
Hey Glenn,
I built the one as proof of concept. I had it at work. I did not have room at home for a pair of JBL clones, so I never made a second. Someday I'll find the room I need to herd all my large speakers.

"Real speakers have wheels!" ~ Nick

BlazeES

Tagline
---
85K ... geezus ... I'll take a used Lambo instead. More rewarding... :cool: