Isolation

Pure_Brew

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Coffee filters
The SOTA Moonbeam II that I use, while a somewhat "shop-class" looking plinth, has been the best table for isolating vibration that I've owned. The evidence however, is limited based on the data I have so far which is:

footfall skipping = 0
other turntables Bass < Moonbeam Bass.

There is no doubt, that there are other factors involved here. I do believe that this basic Rega tonearm may be a factor, for example, vs others that came stock on other TT's and may have also needed servicing that they never received.

But anyway... I noticed one day when I was playing around with my scope, I lowered the tonearm on the record while not in motion. When I walked across the room, well, I could see it on the scope.

That got me thinking. It seems like it would make sense to generate data from changes made in isolation, using an oscilloscope, rather then making a change and listening for changes. Does that make sense?

I also suppose I could use a piezo accelerometer, and attach it to different surfaces (rack/wall etc) and check vibration results that way as well.

Rat44

Journeyman
What does tour table sit on ?
I have issues with my Debut also.
I'm thinking about trying a sand box style isolation stand.

Dennis

Fairchild

Tagline
It's Beer Season!
As a young hippie with no concerns for a wife factor, I hung my TT from the ceiling on a platform swing, works well but it is not always wife acceptable.

Lazarus Short

Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
The BEST solution IMHO:

Move the audio rig to the basement.

Decide where to locate the dedicated (heavy) turntable stand. Cut through the concrete floor around that location, with a pavement saw, making sure to go all the way to dirt.

Set up stand and turntable as per usual. Add sandbags or bags of lead shot to the turntable stand as needed.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
That's pretty radical Laz...

Joe, what exactly did you see on the scope?

eminence1963

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
The BEST solution IMHO:

Decide where to locate the dedicated (heavy) turntable stand. Cut through the concrete floor around that location, with a pavement saw, making sure to go all the way to dirt.

Set up stand and turntable as per usual. Add sandbags or bags of lead shot to the turntable stand as needed.
I would do that if I had a basement:happy6:

Pure_Brew

Tagline
Coffee filters
The BEST solution IMHO:

Actually... I was thinking I could build a concrete structure from the basement level, all the way up to the second floor level where the rest of the gear is and put the TT on it. :banghead:

Lazarus Short

Tagline
Actually... I was thinking I could build a concrete structure from the basement level, all the way up to the second floor level where the rest of the gear is and put the TT on it. :banghead:
That might actually work, but the idea is to DECOUPLE the turntable support from the rest of the structure. I first heard the idea from a DO student and audio nut [he had an Ampzilla and really big SABA speakers]. His dad was in industrialist in New Jersey, and did his really fine work (some of it for NASA) in the wee hours, in an area decoupled, as I described, from the rest of his factory floor.

EDIT: I re-read your post. A two-story high turntable support? Gosh, Lee called my idea radical...

Last edited:

Lazarus Short

Tagline
I bought a pair of these Ikea Lak tables. http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/40104270/#/20011408 I have heard from pros on the issue of turntable isolation this simple fix beats the most expensive remedies. It's all to do with the composition of the materials used in the manufacture of the table.

Nando.
A ten buck table beats tons of concrete, expen$ive sand-filled boxes, etc? Have you used it long enough to hear a difference??

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
I didn't have an issue to begin with as far as turntable isolation. But I did buy them to try out, so it's hard for me to say what difference the table makes when it's still in its packaging, unused.

Nando.

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
I have one of those in black. Nando
Yes, both of mine are black Lacks, Larry. Did you buy them as end tables or because we might have read the same recommendation on using them for turntable isolation?

Nando.

speakerman1

Tagline
Yes, both of mine are black Lacks, Larry. Did you buy them as end tables or because we might have read the same recommendation on using them for turntable isolation?

Nando.
TT table recommendation. Fast got it for me; because a store wasn't close by. Couldn't get it on line. I thought of drilling a hole and fuilling ot wity resin and kitty litter make it even more dense. Something that cheap serves a purpose and it can hurt. LOL

speakerman1

Tagline
Resonance on a TT. You have so many it is hard to Isolate. Tonearm, motors, steps (walking around", platter,stylus, electrical, magnetic. Shall I go one? A TT to me is an engineering marvel. There are so many complexities going on that they all work in harmony. Plus so many different ways of doing it. I have enough sorbo I can let you have to put under the feet if you want. Give me the measurements.