ISO PL 700B advice

Schmurpy

Journeyman
Tagline
If it isn't broke, fix it until it is.
Hello people!

Looking at a PL 700B that needs some work, and was hoping some of your great folk could give an opinion.

Here is what I know about it:

Phase Linear 700B Stereo Power Amplifier acquired from the family of the original owner. I gave this unit a quick test using a tuner/preamplifier and a pair of JBL speakers. I believe this amplifier was conservatively rated at 350 watts per channel. The front of the amplifier states "700 watts RMS". Unfortunately, this power amplifier does Not work. It produces a loud hum, and that's it. As can be seen in the photos, it powers up and that's as good as it get. No output other than a hum. I removed the top cover and took a picture so that you can see what your getting. Cosmetically a few small marks here and there but nothing that would even show up in the photos. I tested this unit for approximately two seconds and pulled the plug when I heard the loud hum. Plugged it in for another two or three seconds to take pictures

Attachments

Last edited:

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Hello people!

Looking at a PL 700B that needs some work, and was hoping some of your great folk could give an opinion.

Here is what I know about it:

Phase Linear 700B Stereo Power Amplifier acquired from the family of the original owner. I gave this unit a quick test using a tuner/preamplifier and a pair of JBL speakers. I believe this amplifier was conservatively rated at 350 watts per channel. The front of the amplifier states "700 watts RMS". Unfortunately, this power amplifier does Not work. It produces a loud hum, and that's it. As can be seen in the photos, it powers up and that's as good as it get. No output other than a hum. I removed the top cover and took a picture so that you can see what your getting. Cosmetically a few small marks here and there but nothing that would even show up in the photos. I tested this unit for approximately two seconds and pulled the plug when I heard the loud hum. Plugged it in for another two or three seconds to take pictures
For a 700B, all you need to know is:

Is the transformer good?
Are the meters good?
Are you getting a good price on it?

Everything else has a replacement part.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Cosmetically looks pretty good. Meters obviously work as does the transformer. That is what counts.

Will the seller take $300 for it?

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Others can give you offer advice. I haven't purchased one in a long time, they have climbed in price significantly since I purchased my last one.

mlucitt

Veteran and General Yakker
Never plug speakers (especially nice ones like JBL) into a vintage Phase Linear amplifier. The loud hum is due to a failed capacitor allowing stray voltage to get to the speakers.
Always use a dim bulb tester (DBT) when powering on a vintage amp and then measure voltage at the speaker terminals with a meter when no inputs are connected. If any voltage AC or DC is present or the bulb stays bright (indicating a short circuit), the amp needs service.
You (and the seller) have been warned.