Interesting Distortion Discussion By Nelson Pass....

marcok

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I'm very curious about any tech item
My opinion is that THD can be negligible for the human brain .
The most important thing is the phase .
Remember always that the human ear is not an audio analyzer ,
but it's another thing .
Make a comparison between a CD player and a cart . 0.01 vs 1-2 %
Ciao
Marco

BlazeES

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
I enjoy reading through these distortion 'white papers'. There's always good takeaways from the individual perspective and good theories to ponder.

The problem is, I see very little presented in terms of human trials (blind tests) and/or controlled microphone tests to substantiate the qualitative value of what is heard or perceivable vs. what is easily measured at the internal electrical level - in most if not all white papers on the subject. In a somewhat related theme, I am certain I hear a warmth and positive change in cassette recordings that are sourced from CD that - without a doubt - others perceive as a negative change to the character of the intended sound, a muddiness -
a shift - or a distortion.

So in other words, these types of discussions paired with electrical theory are super interesting but at the end of the day ... mean what exactly ?

The external variables:

The sound producing actuator
The acoustical environment
The human ear
Mood
RH

This is why owning an AP ATS-1 is so intriguing.

Last edited:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Exactly Tony.
My Spec 2 after running a battery of tests on the AP looks MUCH better on paper than a WOPL. But after 5 minutes of listening to a WOPL the Spec's are retired. It's that simple, and the Spec I bought brand new in 1975 and LOVED IT!!

WE are trying to compare objective measurements with subjective hearing........leaving lots of room for robust debates....

marcok

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I'm very curious about any tech item
Don't forget the noise !
The human brain needs a little noise ( approx. 80dB below )
See the Carver DTL manual.
http://thecarversite.com/manuals/mandir/Carver DTL owner manual.pdf
Moreover see Meridian CD player , that has a special function ( called absolute phase )
that modify the phase .
Ciao
Marco
PS: For Pass only class A amp is a good amp .
Correct from theoretical point of view ,
but for me a class A amp is a " barbecue that sounds ".

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
My latest pre-amp has a phase inverter function. I was not aware that some components, recordings, etc may not be in the same phase as .....say.....the crossovers....

Last edited:

BlazeES

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
That's pretty cool Lee. But I guess not much of surprise considering the stature & the lineage of the pre-amp, and that it's probably commonly used married to tube amps.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
No doubt there Tony. In Stephens system his Wadia CD player also has a phase inverter function, and at times it makes a helluva a difference, like lifting a veil.....

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
I enjoy reading through these distortion 'white papers'. There's always good takeaways from the individual perspective and good theories to ponder.

The problem is, I see very little presented in terms of human trials (blind tests) and/or controlled microphone tests to substantiate the qualitative value of what is heard or perceivable vs. what is easily measured at the internal electrical level - in most if not all white papers on the subject. In a somewhat related theme, I am certain I hear a warmth and positive change in cassette recordings that are sourced from CD that - without a doubt - others perceive as a negative change to the character of the intended sound, a muddiness -
a shift - or a distortion.

So in other words, these types of discussions paired with electrical theory are super interesting but at the end of the day ... mean what exactly ?

The external variables:

The sound producing actuator
The acoustical environment
The human ear
Mood
RH

This is why owning an AP ATS-1 is so intriguing.

RH???????