Installing a IEC socket on a 400 and straightening the chassis.

George S.

Veteran and General Yakker
First, I want to thank Mark L. for showing me this was possible. This unit is a 400 S2 that will be WOPLED and was dropped on the bottom left corner bending the chassis and face plate. The part# in the photo works well and accepts 14 AWG for robust primary AC runs. Make a template, pay attention to the orientation due to the two top plate screws on that corner. Trace the general outline on the chassis, then rubber cement the template centered within that outline, again paying attention to orientation.

Attachments

George S.

Support the template area with a wood block, and center punch the perimeter within the template edge. Then drill, and break out the unwanted material. I used a drill press and a Dremel to cut across the holes, but a hand drill and pliers will work as well. Then carefully hand file to final shape.

Attachments

George S.

The chassis had the classic PL bend with the transformer against the heat sinks. Easily straightened using a home made press made of scrap wood and blocks. A wood punch straightens around transformer bolt holes, a crescent wrench gets the waves out of the edge. Just work slow and methodically and it's soon straight.

Attachments

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
The chassis had the classic PL bend with the transformer against the heat sinks. Easily straightened using a home made press made of scrap wood and blocks. A wood punch straightens around transformer bolt holes, a crescent wrench gets the waves out of the edge. Just work slow and methodically and it's soon straight.
Or throw it away and purchase a much better one without those shortcomings :)

MusicSteve

Journeyman
Tagline
Always Thinking Outside The Box.
I never thought a IEC socket would fit a 400 or 700, looks like a tight fit and no room for error but you got it to work good job.

MusicSteve

Journeyman
Tagline
Always Thinking Outside The Box.
IEC sockets in all my PL gear but the PL5100 S2 tuner. Haven't done that one yet, but I have the socket with "ears" for it. It'll get riveted in when I get to it.
Here's the 20 amp socket on the 700 Pro during mock up. Rivets were added later.
That's a Good Idea, looks a lot easier than the 400 II but I would not put the original outlet back in.
but w the 400II w your idea I think I would just move the ac fuse holder over and have more room for the socket
I also was think of just adding a cord sticking out w a IEC handing out. but It would be nice if it was in the amp.
Getting the old cord out is not easy lol

Hexis22

Chief Journeyman
This is very timely, I'm about to start a complete WOPL rebuild of a S1 PL400.

Can you confirm if this update would work on a S1 chassis?

From looking at your pictures it appears this might work on S1, but wanted to confirm.

George S.

This is very timely, I'm about to start a complete WOPL rebuild of a S1 PL400.

Can you confirm if this update would work on a S1 chassis?

From looking at your pictures it appears this might work on S1, but wanted to confirm.
Yup, works in any 400 chassis. Use the IEC sockets with ears on other chassis like the PL1000 S2, 2000, 5000, 5100, or any 700. They have more room. That socket in the photo is for any 400. Just pay attention to orientation so those top plate screws can be used. The S2 has two on the corner and I think the S1 has one. Proper orientation also makes it easier to wire the Neutral and Line which are marked on the socket. Get that line polarity correct. Have fun!!! Your building a marvelous machine!

George S.

Here's a 400 S1. I had already WOPLed the whole amp. Mark L. Showed us a IEC socket was do-able using that particular socket. Before drilling and filing I used alot of sticky tape around that area to catch chips and filings. Then blew it all out with compressed air in the garage. No issues. This allows you to run a heavy 15 amp cord. Lee gave me a part# for the cord, which I forget, shouldn't be hard to find on Mouser or Digikey.

Attachments

George S.

Yup, very easy to do on the aluminum chassis's. The steel chassis of the 2000 preamp and 700 Pro use a very hard, tough to hand file, steel. Just takes more time is all. With good files it's easy to file the aluminum too far. Check your fit, take your time.