Inexpensive Record Flattening Machine

Bradrock

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---I run with Scissors
Nice! I just opened an LP like that tonight. I'm trying an even cheaper method. I've got the fire stoked & the living room is 93 degrees right now. I'm hoping if I keep playing the record & get it a bit warmer, that it might lay down.

nakdoc

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
highly biased
My friendly record store has an expensive machine using this technology. You absolutely must keep the temperature as low as possible. The big issue is a cycle takes about 4 hours. His expensive machine can do 2 records at once with rice paper between them. Both top and bottom are heated in his machine.

Looks cool, and I know a lot of people like to heat the records up, some people between two panes of glass in the sun. Myself I would never reheat a record, and I would think that not only with a flatt n the records, but may do something to the grooves.

As an alternative, I sprung for the periphery ring, and it was hundreds of dollars for the universal one but I figured I'd only have to buy it once. Works like a charm because I was getting sick of sending back new LPs. You would think after all these years that they would be able to make a record that isn't warped upon purchase, but that's definitely something they did better back in the day. Probably all the recycled vinyl material.

Last edited: