I'm brand new.

bill7621

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF, y'all
Hello, my name is Gary and I'm brand new here and thought I'd say Hi. I'm recently retired form an electric utility in N.E. Ohio. My interests are model railroading, photography, guns, and whatever else grabs my attention...like music. I'd prefer to listen to a good album over watching TV any day. I have some vintage equipment...nothing special...and I get a lot of enjoyment out of it. Right now I'm running a Carver M500t and C-1 through a set of Dahlquist DQ-10's. Very enjoyable, at least for me.

Now for the questions and advice I need. I'm looking at a Carver C-500 amp and C-1 preamp that were rebuilt and updated by the seller. It's on the auction site for a buy it now price of $775. I figured I'd ask here as this is basically Phase Linear. I don't know if this is a good deal or not. It sounds like decent equipment and I understand the C-500 is pretty much what a PL 400 Series II would have evolved into. The qustions are should the need arise, is the amp able to be WOPL'd? It doesn't have the DC protection circuit either. I'm very interested in this and tempted to grab it, but I'm wondering if my money would be better spent on a 400 or 700 and have it done right. I would have loved to be able to afford one of those Clair Bros. amp that a member was selling, but finances wouldn't allow it for now...or maybe ever. I just don't know. I hate to spend good money only to find out I f'd up. What advice can you guys give me? Thanks for any replies.

Last edited:

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Hmmmm...

You are retired and a newbie here too?

Does this make you refurbished?

(oh please, not in China)....

Welcome!

You are officially one of the only parts of January 2016 that have not sucked :hello1:

Last edited:

Fishoz

Tagline
Always learning!
Welcome Gary. Patience on this forum will steer you in the right direction. Take some time to figure out what you want.

bill7621

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF, y'all
Thanks Guys. It kind of looks like I'm being advised that there is something better to be had. I'll wait.

Years ago I had a 700 series II. I loved that thing. So clean, so powerful! The thing blew up three times. I bought it used and it's background was questionable. The last time it went I was listening to Christmas music of all things and it just went up in smoke. I pulled it and stuck it in the closet. A few years back I was talking to a friend that worked at a TV station and he said he could get it fixed for me from a tech there. What an asshole I was. I gave it to him and never saw it again. When I asked about it about a year later, he said it couldn't be fixed and they took it to an electronics recycle drive. Needless to say I wanted to kill, but no matter what I did, it was gone and that was that. I still get pissed about that. But it was as much my fault as his as I waited too long before asking about it. The one thing I couldn't get a grip on was why would you throw something away that didn't belong to you? I couldn't make him pay for it as he has three kids and was struggling to get by himself. Oh well. That's life.

So, if I were to look for a 700, would I be better off with the 700B or a series II ?

Last edited:

marcok

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I'm very curious about any tech item
Welcome aboard !
Another Bob Carver and model railroading fan , just like me !
Ciao from Italy
Marco

NavLinear

Welcome to Phoenix Gary. I think most here will steer you towards a PL 400 or 700 that can be upgraded at a later date. There are a few things you can do to a stock unit in the mean time such as adding a DC protect board and rewiring the ground to a single point ground - aka star ground. Oh yeah - the most important part. Here's your Nav welcome babe:

Attachments

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
A warm welcome to Phoenix Gary, sorry to hear about your PL and that guy from the TV station, I gaurantee that will not happen with any of the fine techs at this forum!! Craig

bill7621

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF, y'all
Well thanks for the warm welcomes...and Ron, I appreciate the welcome gift. I might be old, but I'm not dead and I know just what to do with her! I have to tell you guys I know next to nothing about electronics so I'll try not to burden anyone with senseless questions. If there's something I don't know, I'm not afraid to ask. Now the hunt begins. I'm in no hurry....unless a great deal comes along.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
If you are patient a good deal can be had eventually. If you post about something on e-bay we will usually back off if you express an interest in it. Most of us have a lot more than we need...

A Nav-Babe comes from NavLinear, not Ron....

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Welcome Gary!

I was into model railroading many years ago. I still have several large boxes full. Maybe it's time I moved that stuff on as I will never get to it again but it was fun when I did

bill7621

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF, y'all
A Nav-Babe comes from NavLinear, not Ron....
My mistake...sorry. I saw the note " I Need You Ron" under his av and just assumed. Shouldn't do that!

Around here there is no decent electronics store where you can go and audition equipment other than the big box stores. Even at that, it's new stuff. If you want vintage, there is only ebay and craigslist. And Phase Linear doesn't show up on Craigslist around here too often. That leaves ebay and the problem is I just don't see how a 700b is worth $1500 when it's all original. If it's been reworked, maybe. Maybe there's something I don't understand. Now those Clair Bros. amps The WOPLwiffer ( I assume) was selling...God those were gorgeous...I would love to have something like that. Maybe someday.

@ Northwinds... I have too much invested to get out of the hobby. And I don't even have a layout. I belong to a club. We have an open house three weekends a year and I like watching little kids eyes light up when they see it for the first time. The usual thing out of their mouths is "WOW".

Fishoz

Tagline
Always learning!
Gary, the lack of brick and mortars (and in a lot of cases cash!) is a big reason this site shines. Opinions thrown out here are based on experience and knowledge, not bucks and what's new. Everyone is very respectful of all equipment, you will be amazed at what gets resurrected and reused.

As Lee said...most of us have more than we need but the doesn't stop us from looking for improvement. Never know what will show up!

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Good to have you join us, Gary. We have a lot of fun on this forum as you will quickly see. I have a few more years before retirement, but I'm looking forward to the time when I don't have to report to anyone else. Oops...I forgot, I'm married.

Nando.