If you are wondering what to do with your beloved vinyl collection when you pass on to the great concert in the sky

NeverSatisfied

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Play the Game, don’t be the Game
Thought I would share something you might not have thought about when pondering your mortality.
When my father passed in 2008 he left me a collection of almost 3000 records, including some very old 78’s. Most were big band, popular music from the 20’s through the 50’s and classical. At the time I had no room or interest for the collection ( hurricane Ike had just relieved me of my house and most of my possessions).

Not wanting to spend the next 10 years FleeBaying them individually I was looking for someone to take the whole collection. That’s when my brilliant girlfriend found that the University of North Texas in Denton had an Audio Library. I contacted them and explained my situation, the director called me and was very interested in the collection.
Turns out that the university accepts collections, inventories them, sell duplicates to their existing library. If they come across very rare and valuable records they auction them off and all the proceeds help support the library.
Students and alumni can check the records in and out just like books.
I knew the idea of new people being exposed to the music he loved so much would have made my dad very happy so it was a no brainer for me. As a bonus they valued the collection and I got a very nice tax deduction.

I don’t know how many other universities across the country have Audio Libraries but if your wondering what might happen to your collections, you might be able to arrange to donate them posthumously.

NeverSatisfied

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Play the Game, don’t be the Game
That’s great!

My collection is probably worth a decent steak dinner, so, no worries here.
As of now, I fall in that category also. From what I seen there are more than a few guys on here that have some serious collections.
Gear is a different story, going to take an 18 wheeler or 2 to take all my stuff to the dump…..