I Took My Mission 70 Apart and Saw...the Crossover Cap

Lazarus Short

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
Damn pushbutton amp - I started a Ewetoob vid, and punched the "up" button, and punched the "up" button, and punched the "up" button. Then the soundtrack started. OW!

Later, I was getting odd noises from the right hand speaker. Well, rats, it just had to be my all-time favorite speakers. I took it downstairs, vacuumed off the dust, and found that the back came off by loosening four screws. Connected to my shop amp, the drivers seemed OK, so maybe it was that damn pushbutton amp after all. BTW, the tweeter is a VIFA.

I did notice that the crossover was very simple - an air-core inductor and a cap. It's bi-polar, axial, 4.7 mfd, 50 volts and I assume, original. Replacement would be easy, so can anyone suggest something better?

edit: The brand is "Bennic." Any good?

Last edited:

Lazarus Short

Tagline
I find them pleasant to listen to, and I can listen to them for hours. They are the last speakers I would ever part with. As for the thread you directed me to, I did buy a pair of Mission 70 Mk II, but they did not sound quite right, and I sold them. So yes, it might be that they were cutting costs...and quality. You guys did put a bug in my ear, and I think I am going to replace the JVC receiver with my Luxman amp, and replace the Missions with a pair of B&K wafflebacks from my living room system.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
That wasn't the MKII

"The original Mission 70 was an early attempt at a budget box. Surprisingly, considering Mission’s form at the time, these standmounters disappointed thanks to a mediocre, congested performance and insubstantial build. The comparatively poor reviews that followed didn’t help sales either."

Lazarus Short

Tagline
Well, I did it - Luxman A-007 plus the B&W wafflebacks (forgot the model #, not on the unit) and positioned better as well. Even Barb, who is hard of hearing, could tell the difference. Thanks, guys!

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
I was connecting to my fellow Technician in Canada and he told me he is rebuilding and restoring speakers that then sound much better than original and putting in improvements not only parts wise but structure wise. The Market of cheap speakers drives this kind of junk to be made so when you buy cheap, you are telling China in most cases to keep on ripping us off as we like it!
I use Tannoy near field Monitors in my Bench 1 and they have worked very well all these years. I think they were $300/Pair. I think it said made in Scotland the land of Montgomery Scott.

Lazarus Short

Tagline
I was connecting to my fellow Technician in Canada and he told me he is rebuilding and restoring speakers that then sound much better than original and putting in improvements not only parts wise but structure wise. The Market of cheap speakers drives this kind of junk to be made so when you buy cheap, you are telling China in most cases to keep on ripping us off as we like it!
I use Tannoy near field Monitors in my Bench 1 and they have worked very well all these years. I think they were $300/Pair. I think it said made in Scotland the land of Montgomery Scott.
Last I heard, Tannoys are now made in China.

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
Anything is possible these days where profit is the only consideration 2015 and after the acquisition of TC group by Tribe the company owning Behringer just piles all kinds of stuff together which removes the perfection of one product to that of making money. It is all in their website and
like everything else where the originator dies then the dream is lost and all kinds of bad things happen. Look what Gibson did to Teac.