I need a tech near Raleigh NC who can fix my Phase Linear 8000 turntable

Tagline
---
The Quartz lock light stays illuminated regardless of platter speed, and the platter speed is off. Playing a CD or cassette version of the same record, and the record is noticeably slower. I don't want to ship the turntable, and I don't have the knowledge or the test gear to diagnose it myself. Is there any way I can get this fixed locally?

Charles.

Northwinds

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Should be a speed control adjustment inside, probably the speed control board needs to be recapped or possibly bearing lubed

Tagline
---
There is an adjustment inside, but it doesn't do anything appreciable. There is a long and complicated procedure for checking the operation of the quartz lock circuitry, which requires a scope and a logic probe. I don't have either, nor do I know how to use them. So I need someone who I can pay some money and get back a fixed turntable. I know when it's beyond my capabilities.

Charles.

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
Oh my! How much money ya got laying around?? I have a good friend that has the Pioneer version and, he's thrown hundreds at it with a local tech getting it right. THEY do NOT like to be MOVED, even from one side of the room to the other, the footers can get compressed over the years and the arm control do-hickies can wear, then you have all sorts of electronic boards that need looked after...how attatched to it are you?

It was my buddies first super nice TT, so he didn't mind spending tons of money on it. I wish you luck finding someone competent in your area to get it right, personally, I'd look for something else, break it for parts if it's in good cosmetic shape, there's some money there for the dust cover, platter, base and arm components. Search evilbay for completed auctions for parts...as far as I know, the Pioneer 1000A was identical and all parts could be swapped.

Sorry for being Debbie Downer CC, IMHO, it's not worth the $$'s as it sits.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
It's only a linear tracker, get a priest and see if they are pinned to the ceiling like George C. Scott.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Getting more serious now, if the PLL is similar to that of PL-610/630 it needs periodic cleaning and parts replacements but William Peter Blatty did NOT design it.

R1200S

Journeyman
Tagline
Smoke and mirrors baby!
Charles, you might give Michael at Brit Audio a call and see if he knows anyone locally. He's into phono gear and might know a local tech.

http://www.britaudio.com/contact.html

I was talking with Ed at Vintage Audio in Jamestown, NC (Greensboro) and he mentioned that he'd found a new tech in Greensboro that he's using some. Says he's expensive but pretty good. There's no telling if that tech has ANY turntable experience. Might be worth a couple of phone calls.

http://www.vintageaudioexchange.com/contact-us

I agree with previous comments about parting that table out on eBay. You can likely make enough from the parts to pay for a very nice reliable table, that will last you for years. Sometimes we just have to cut and run.

Good Luck

Randy

Tagline
---
No can do. This turntable has been in my family since new. It was my uncle's. He bought it new along with a Series II 700 and 3500, and I've inherited them. I'm not parting the table out. It likely needs a new bias oscillator. I've not had any troubles with this table other than the platter speed. The tracking, lead in, lead out, and elevation all work flawlessly.

Charles.

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
PM oldphaser (Ed), his buddy Dean who used to run Phasetek should be able to fix it

JustMike

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
"Just Passin thru"
PM oldphaser (Ed), his buddy Dean who used to run Phasetek should be able to fix it
Ed and Dean went thru my Phase 8000 table. Only way to go period. You may be able to borrow the shipping fixtures needed
from Dean in advance before shipping it off to him. Very important !
It will be worth it in the long run. These tables are amazing when set up correctly.

Tagline
---
I tried contacting Dean. I called him five or six times. He kept saying he'd email me, wife said she'd give him my messages, and he kept saying he'd provide me with shipping information, saying he could do the work if I just shipped the motherboard and not the rest of the turntable. Sounded like a good option, but I couldn't get a hold of him reliably. I was very sketched out about that, and so I'm looking for a local tech. California is not local to Durham, NC, and I don't want my turntable to disappear into the ether.

Charles.