I Killed My Cyrus Today

Lazarus Short

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
I was moving some power cables and gear around - unplugged what I thought was the turntable, but it was the tuner. Yes, I was listening to FM at the time. Sound dropped out. Before I plugged it back in, I hit the "power" button. As soon as the plug hit the outlet, there was a "thump" ... and then silence. I pulled the Cyrus out, took off the cover, and the heatsink was HOT. Fuses were fine. I had too much $ in that amp. The tuner is just fine, thanks for asking, and it was fifteen bucks at an estate sale. Of course it's OK.

The shop system is up again, using the Luxman A-007 as a pre and the Proton AA-1150 as a power amp.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
You need to explain what it is you have.... You don't blow outputs on a tuner. Do you mean a RECEIVER?????? Big difference. My tuner puts out .7V, my receiver puts out quite a bit more.

Lazarus Short

Tagline
Looks like I fried the outputs on my Cyrus 2 amp. The tuner, cause of it all, is fine, dammit. No, it's not the tuner's fault, it's my fault.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
First of all, and this is important..... You don't munky with the stereo unless it's ALL TURNED OFF,AND OR UNPLUGGED. That's an expensive lesson that you should not have to sit through. You know better.

You may have fried the outputs OF THE AMP......, but let a tech determine WHAT you blew up.

mlucitt

So, if I understand what you are saying is that you accidently unplugged the Tuner. Then you turned the Tuner "Off" just before you plugged the tuner back into the wall receptacle?
Then when the Tuner power plug was inserted into the wall receptacle, there was a "thump"?
It sounds like there might have been some DC voltage on the output of the Tuner. Can you put a DC voltmeter on the output of your Tuner and see? Try with the power on first. Then power the Tuner off, connect the meter and turn the power back on (or better yet plug it back in as you did before). See if any DC voltage spikes on the output of the Tuner.

Lazarus Short

Tagline
So, if I understand what you are saying is that you accidently unplugged the Tuner. Then you turned the Tuner "Off" just before you plugged the tuner back into the wall receptacle?
Then when the Tuner power plug was inserted into the wall receptacle, there was a "thump"?
It sounds like there might have been some DC voltage on the output of the Tuner. Can you put a DC voltmeter on the output of your Tuner and see? Try with the power on first. Then power the Tuner off, connect the meter and turn the power back on (or better yet plug it back in as you did before). See if any DC voltage spikes on the output of the Tuner.
Thanks for the advice - I took the tuner out of the system and also the Luxman amp. Now I'm running a JVC CD recorder, a Marantz AV600 tuner/preamp, Proton AA-1150 power amp and a pair of Yamaha NS5 speakers. The sound is glorious. I don't think the Luxman is as good as I thought when I first got it.