How to determine where hum is coming from

CrazyIvan

New Around These Parts
PL 400 white oak cap kit, pl14 board, light upgrade, new output transistors, WA dc protection running quasi comp.
Upon power up, there is a hum through the speakers that changes tone and then lowers. Where should I begin trying to eliminate this? Isolate the transformer from the chassis? I have a fluke meter for test equipment no scope.

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
I had a pair of test speakers I used in the shop, they hummed when I hooked up a WOPL to them. Took me 2 days of dicking around to figure out it was the speakers. Try the easy route first.

George S.

Ivan, I assume you've built the control board quasi complementary along with the jumpers in Teflon tubing on the backside of the board?

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast

CrazyIvan

New Around These Parts
IMG_9022.jpg IMG_9023.jpg IMG_9024.jpg
I never removed the copper input plate. I will unbolt it to see if it has fiber washers. If it came that way from the factory I'd assume they are there,

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Would be helpful to have a view with the control board flipped out of the way. Is the input copper plate isolated from the chassis using the fiber insulating washers? Do you have an AC third wire in use or the original 2 wire cord connection only? You hum video has the hallmarks of a ground loop.

Tagline
Always Thinking Outside The Box.
First, does everything work except for the Bussing?
I did not look at the board wiring so it could be their also

I like to test just the amp first (ground loops can be a lot of things) I like to disconnect the Rca inputs and retest.
than . I also like to Flip the 2-Prong AC plug and see if their a different.
if theirs no buss than it upstream.
than I hook up the RCA only to the next component,,, (and this component upstream disconnected),,,, until I find were the buzz is coming from.
This is only one way to do it
Good luck

Last edited:
Tagline
Always Thinking Outside The Box.
Quick look at the board
Also might want to re-solder the Rt Bias Connecter (Looks like it not solder)
and also check the LT one

CrazyIvan

New Around These Parts
First, does everything work except for the Bussing?
I did not look at the board wiring so it could be their also

I like to test just the amp first (ground loops can be a lot of things) I like to disconnect the Rca inputs and retest.
than . I also like to Flip the 2-Prong AC plug and see if their a different.
if theirs no buss than it upstream.
than I hook up the RCA only to the next component,,, (and this component upstream disconnected),,,, until I find were the buzz is coming from.
This is only one way to do it
Good luck
Well well well, the hum went away with no rca input connected, I use a schiit valhalla 2 as a preamp (for volume control) and an Audiocontrol C101. With C101 plugged in it hums! run just the Schiit. NO hum.

Thanks to everyone for helping diagnose this issue.

George S.

I see one issue with the control board screws being in backwards and protruding towards the back wall, but that's minor. I have issues with preamps picking up transformer hum from amps if they're stacked. So I keep them separated in the main system. The main system is dead silent.
Upstairs in my work room I keep them stacked due to space limitations and because the hum is very minor. Can't hear the hum when music is playing. Annoying, but really a non issue.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I see one issue with the control board screws being in backwards and protruding towards the back wall, but that's minor. I have issues with preamps picking up transformer hum from amps if they're stacked. So I keep them separated in the main system. The main system is dead silent.
Upstairs in my work room I keep them stacked due to space limitations and because the hum is very minor. Can't hear the hum when music is playing. Annoying, but really a non issue.
Well well well, the hum went away with no rca input connected, I use a schiit valhalla 2 as a preamp (for volume control) and an Audiocontrol C101. With C101 plugged in it hums! run just the Schiit. NO hum.

Thanks to everyone for helping diagnose this issue.
Glad you found the culprit. Enjoy

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Agree, while minor, those internal tooth lockwashers will tear up the board and expose bare copper which is not what you want. Best to flip them around.