Hi from Philly!!

jimcomly

New Around These Parts
Hello everyone. I've been an audio enthusiast since I was about 13, just before CD's became mainstream. My dad's good friend was an electrical engineer that worked as a roadie while in college, and he had a pair of Dahlquist DQ-10's driven by a PL 700B and a Hafler preamp. He played Steve Winwood "Higher Love" on his Thorens TD125 with a Shure V15 cartridge. Even at 13, I knew I was listening to something extraordinary. Admittedly, I didn't have a lot to compare it to, but the music was crystal clear and seemed to be coming out of nowhere!! Up until I graduated college, I tried (and failed) to put together something that sounded even close.

Fast forward 30 years, I found a set of mirror-imaged DQ-10's with original blonde grills and a PL 400 series I. My preamp was Harmon Kardon receiver with preamp outs that I picked up at a garage sale. IeEither played CD's on a Pioneer laser disk unit or just plugged in the iPod. Good sound for occasional listening in the background.

A few years ago, I bought a PL 700 Series II off of Craigslist to replace the 400. The 700 had "Clair Brothers" on the front panel. Who were they? Found out Clair Brothers was a company located in the same town I worked - Lititz, PA in Lancaster County. My dad's buddy said something like, "Oh, Clair Brothers... They do little concerts like Live Aid!!". What a history this amp must have had!

Current system is the DQ-10's, 700 Series II (just tuned up with the help of this forum), Pioneer C90 preamp, and a recently acquired Audio Technica LP120 turntable. I was delighted to find out that I actually took pretty good care of my vinyl as a teenager! I have a Pioneer Elite Blue Ray player for CD's, but I'm concentrating on vinyl for the moment.

For the time being, I'm going to stay with the current setup and develop some critical listening skills. Then, I'll change one component at a time to see how the sound changes. I was never this patient as a kid!

I also have interest in working on the components myself, so I've been collecting test equipment as well. My dad and his buddies were Ham Radio guys that were primarily interested in bands above 3GHz, so they all built and tested their own equipment ("homebrew" in Ham-speak). Even though I have my General class license (N3DCR), I never had the knack for understanding, or troubleshooting analog circuits.

As hobbies go in general, I prefer working with vintage stuff because I'm as interested in the history as much as the technology. Just think about what scientists, engineers, and tradesmen were able to do decades ago pushing the limits of mechanical, electrical, or even chemical technology of the time. I mean look at stuff like the original systems on the Iowa class battleships, the SR-71, Apollo missions, etc. For audio, I'm a decade or so too young to have appreciated early days of Hifi. I would have loved to have seen stacks of amps at concerts, or even been in recording studios with the early consoles, decks, etc.

Anyway, sorry for the long intro. I'm looking forward to having the experts answer my dumb questions, and learning as much as I can :)

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
We went from first powered flight on earth to the surface of the moon in under 70 years.

I’ve not yet been equally impressed with mankind’s engineering achievements since.

NeverSatisfied

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Play the Game, don’t be the Game
Welcome to the center of the PL universe. You will not find a nicer or more helpful group anywhere, these folks will give you an audio and electronics education, while keeping you laughing at the same time.
Now where’s that proper “Nav” welcome?

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Nice to have you join our forum, Jim. Nice system set-up. Do you use a remote control for your Pioneer C-90 Control amplifier? I have a Pioneer C-72 and I use the remote control all the time.

PioneerElite004.jpg
Nando.

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
My remote doesn't even run the main rig, just the bedroom system, which has more power but no vinyl. Polycarbonate or radio waves in that room.

The main rig has remote on all the disc devices but no amps, preamp, phonos, tape or tuners at this time. The sidelined Yamaha TX-1000 does have a remote.

But let's get back to Jim's rig. Dahlquist 10s are a sweet speaker system. Had two pair but no room to move around so sold a set to a friend with some excellent bespoke stands. I kept the sub and crossover with my setand the second set of those custom stands. Nice rig he has put together.

jimcomly

New Around These Parts
I didn't get the remote with the C90 unfortunately. It was a bargain buy on Ebay because all the relays needed to be replaced. I think I might have paid $200 for it, and the relay replacement was pretty easy. It's really clean inside, and I love the construction!

jimcomly

New Around These Parts
Tagline
Lifelong student / listening = bliss
Welcome aboard Jim! I'm one of the newer members of this forum, but if you are like me I'm sure that you will find that the more you poke around in here the more you will find to appreciate. Lots & lots of 'can do' attitude, with the experience & smarts to back it up.

I've yet to see this group give up on anything -- that & a great vibe make this an oasis of sorts on the internet.

Enjoy --

3D