Hey Guys!

dtafil

Journeyman
Damn.

That HAD to be my first word. I'll explain in a minute.

New member from the Raleigh, NC area here. I've heard about the sense of humor you guys have, so I'll try to my chin up as I learn some WOPL magic.

Long story short is I've been intrigued by these amps ever since buying a few albums from Ron / Northwinds over on AK the past few years (the King Diamond Christmas album goes on every year!) and wondering what the heck the WOPL thing meant in his sig. I now know, lol. Over the past couple years, I've stumbled across a 2000 Preamp (now restored), a 4000 pre, a 400, and now, a 700b. The 400 (according to the prior owner) blows a fuse at power-up, so work needed. Figued I'd get that one squared away first. After learning about WOPL builds and options, (and deciding I needed a bigger amp), a full-blown 700b (WOPL) restoration is now calling my name. Still going to get the 400 squared away first, but start purchasing the boards and collect some parts for the 700b in the background. I really want the 700b to be all-out; going to be powering some restored Ohm F's!

Anyway, just brought up the 700b slowly on the variac this morning, no magic smoke (prior owner sold it as working with no issues, other than age). Checked the speaker output terminals, 25 mV on one channel, 8 mV on the other. So far, so good. Hooked up to some small Klipsh test speakers, added a CD player, and fired up some Zep.

Damn. Even as it sits, I'm hooked.

I've restored quite an array of gear, up to the usual monster Pioneer, Sansui and Marantz amps as well as some tube gear. I'll start up a 400 thread soon with the obligatory pics. Appreciate any pointers from you guys as I go, and hopefully be able to return the favor to others.

In any event, cheers from Raleigh!

Dave

mlucitt

Veteran and General Yakker
Welcome to our little corner of the world. Yes, of course, pictures or it didn't happen. You will waste an inordinate amount of time here, so we try and keep it entertaining. Occasionally, someone imparts a bit of nostalgic history or even some actual knowledge here.

bill7621

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF, y'all
Hi. Welcome! As one of the guys that build these things has said, moneywise you're better off putting the cash into the 700b over the 400. The reason being is the cost is pretty much the same. More bang for your buck so to speak. But hey, it's your decision. I have one of the Claire Bros. 700 Series II that was wopl'd and I love it. Also have a 400 that looks and sounds very nice but as someone wiser than me said, "it's a ticking time bomb". So it sits till I decide what to do with it. Doubt I'd have it wopl'd as I'd rather have another 700. As far as doing my own, I know I could put one together, and there'd be a 50/50 chance it would work. But if it didn't I'd be screwed because I wouldn't know the first thing of what to do. Sure would be an expensive boat anchor!

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Dave, I had some OHM Model F's in the late 70's. The Spec 2 I had driving them really didn't have the damping factor needed to really do it right. Had to sell em in the early 80's, regretted it ever since. Always wondered what they would sound like with the right amp...and a 700 WOPL would be that amp.

Welcome to Phoenix..
Lee

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Welcome aboard, Dave. Lots of talent here to help with your PL questions. The rest of us are talented in other good ways such as stand-up comedy.

Nando.

dtafil

Journeyman
I had some OHM Model F's in the late 70's. The Spec 2 I had driving them really didn't have the damping factor needed to really do it right. Had to sell em in the early 80's, regretted it ever since. Always wondered what they would sound like with the right amp...and a 700 WOPL would be that amp.
Yep. That's it right there. The gear I have now has a damping factor on the low side... less than 100; more details to follow in the 700b WOPL thread I hope to get into next month. Going to kick off with the 400 first, just a basic restoration, and most likely add in the WattsAbundant board for safety.

mlucitt

Veteran and General Yakker
Yep. That's it right there. The gear I have now has a damping factor on the low side... less than 100; more details to follow in the 700b WOPL thread I hope to get into next month. Going to kick off with the 400 first, just a basic restoration, and most likely add in the WattsAbundant board for safety.
Keep us in the loop as you do your basic restoration; we will provide hints, criticism, maybe even a few insults along the way. But you will end up with one of the best stereo amps ever made, made even better. Lot's of various and sundry restorative experience here.

BlueCrab

Journeyman
Welcome. Having just completed a WOPL restoration of a 400, I can vouch for the first rate kit and instructions you get. Looking forward to following your thread.

Tagline
A clear conscience is actually a bad memory.
Just so you don't think that us poor folks on the cold damp rock in the Atlantic have nothing 'toty-tastic' to look at...... On of our best pin ups! And the 'frizz' is dealt with properly with the correct head gear!

Attachments