Help with some blown speakers.

Tagline
---
Howdy,
I think I have blown some speakers and am not sure on if its possible to reapir. Are there any places that work on cross overs or any one who works on any speakers kinda guy?

1 Bad Energy C-5 Connoissiur
1 Bad JBL L80t

And I need some re-foams on Klipsch Heresy K-22 12" woofer.

Thank You.

Cory.

eminence1963

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
Howdy,
I think I have blown some speakers and am not sure on if its possible to reapir. Are there any places that work on cross overs or any one who works on any speakers kinda guy?

1 Bad Energy C-5 Connoissiur
1 Bad JBL L80t

And I need some re-foams on Klipsch Heresy K-22 12" woofer.

Thank You.

Cory.
I'm sure this place can set you up with those repairs.:thumbup:
Click on the linkhttp://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com
I have no affiliation with said web site, as I do most of the repairs myself to my own equipment.
There also might be some available master technicians here with there advice on your temporary dilemma.
Crossover repair is easy if you can solder and follow a schematic. Refoaming is not rocket science either, but can be a daunting task in itself. Re-coneing and replaceing a voice coil is another matter in itself. I would let the pros do that. Especially if its unobtanium speaker. If all else fails these company's will advise you on what they have that can match what was once in the cabinet.
Maybe a search on Google for the company to find out if in fact they have a replacement driver in stock.
I for the most part own Polk Audio speakers, and they still manufacture replacement drivers to this day.
Check out that auction site too you never can tell if what your looking for might be there as well.

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
What makes you think they are blown? Power doesn't usually blow a speaker it is distortion. Try GR Research Danny Ritchy http://gr-research.com/ Tell him Larry Mellette told you to contact him. He is a good guy and knows his stuff. He can help with X-overs and if you want advise on speaker replacement. Surrounds Parts Expess.

Lazarus Short

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
I thought the K-22 woofers had accordion-pleat surrounds - at least mine did. What do you see when you pull the grilles off?

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Crites speakers sells an excellent K22 replacement...Critesspeakers.com.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Cory, PM member "chris" he can let ya know about voice coils and such, I am not diminishing anyones recommendations here, but Chris can probably find you parts. Danny Ritchie is no doubt the authority on speakers though..

Let us not nforget Gibsonian, he's a pretty knowledgeable feller too...

Tagline
---
Yep the K22 have the accordion pleated surrounds. One is still in good shape and the other is tearing out on the bottom. Crites is where I might go. The tweeter and squaker horns work on both speakers so that is good.

It probably was distortion. Pulled out the speaker terminals on the Energy and the crossover was hot and smelled bad.

Cory.

speakerman1

Tagline
As long as your in there. You can mess with the X-overs. Even if stock go with better caps and inductors. Parts Express use to have a x-over points calculator. Don't know if they still do.

Gibsonian

Chief Journeyman
Parts Express can now recone just about any speaker out there. If you give them a call they can quote you, could compare to new driver price, pretty sure it'll save you significant dough.

Crossover parts typically don't break, but electrolytics slowly go bad. If you have some I'd replace those as well which if you can solder you are gold. You don't need a calculator, just replace with same value of capacitance, equal or higher voltage. PE is place for those or Madisound. If you got money you'd like to get rid of replacing inductors with foil types of equal or higher resistance would be an upgrade as well. Keep us posted on your journey!

speakerman1

Tagline
I do have a PE acct. If you want I can get prices for you and ship straight to you. There is so much you can do. Just to see if you would like the sound. Depending what is in it now. You can build 2nd orders cheap. If you would like to experiment. It is all up to you. Do you have the manuals for them?