Hello Phoenix. It's great to be here.

Netfly

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Hi All,

It's so nice to find a place where people have a common interest in Phase Liner. I'm new to the forum, but not to PL. My PL 700 Series II was purchased new in 1980 and it's been a real joy to my ears over the years. Replaced the output transistors when they fried in the 90's with MJ15024's. Unfortunately its dead again and as I start to debug the problem I was happily surprised to find this place.

My system is all old stuff, but it keeps me happy:

Pre: SAE 2900
Amps: Phase Liner 700 II, Carver TFM 15CB
Other: Phase Linear 5100 II tuner, RG Pro 16B Dynamic Processor, Audio Control Phase Coupled Activator, Yamaha PX-2 with Ortofon MC20 & MCA-76 pre, Techniques SL1700 with Stanton 681, Magnavox CDB650, JVC KD-25 Cassette.
Speakers: Ohm I, rear channel MCS 12" 3 way redone.

I just purchased a Hantek DSO4102C Digital Oscilloscope with waveform generator for the debugging occasion. Amazing how cheap scopes are now.

Seem it's not the usual problem. When it happened I was cranking it quite loud for an extended period, with a fan on it to keep it cool. All seemed fine, then one channel dropped out. I lowered the volume to low and tried to find a bad connection, then a minute later the other channel quit. As with the first channel there were no pops or distortion, just quit.

What I know so far: The fuses are all intact. The panel meters still work normally showing output. No output transistors measure shorted with a DVM. None of the diodes or transistors seem shorted on the PL36 board, except maybe D104 and D204 which both measure .1 ohms in circuit. Nothing at the speaker terminal, totally dead.

I'm always interested in any thoughts or comments you may have. Hopefully tomorrow I'll set up the scope and waveform generator and see what's going on.... Let the fun begin. I'll keep you posted as to how it goes. Nice to meet you all.

Regards,

Bill

Last edited:

Fast Forward

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to AH the Phase Liner Junkys should be recovering from their self induced comas and should be along shortly, meanwhile jump right in on any posts that interest you

Last edited:

Netfly

Journeyman
Tagline
---
[FONT=&quot]Thanks Fast Forward. Like your reel to reel. It that a TEAC? I would have listed my old Wollensak 3M with my equipment, but It's so ancient an not hifi, I was afraid it would just make people laugh.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

Fast Forward

Forum Moderator
Staff member
[FONT=&amp]Thanks Fast Forward. Like your reel to reel. It that a TEAC? I would have listed my old Wollensak 3M with my equipment, but It's so ancient an not hifi, I was afraid it would just make people laugh.[/FONT]
Yes it a Teac A6300 Auto Reverse. the Reels are Powder Coated 10.5s.

Fishoz

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Always learning!
Welcome to Phoenix. Looks like another PL will be rising from the ashes. The fun begins.

Interested in hearing about your Ohms..

Netfly

Journeyman
Tagline
---
[FONT=&amp]Hi Fishoz and thanks,
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp] The Ohm's were purchased with the PL 700II in 1980. At the time it was one of the few speakers that sounded great to me, could handle the power without a problem and be found at a reasonable price. The Ohm F's sounded good, but weren't reliable and lacked the I's bass punch. Probably the only thing I liked better and considered were B&W 801F's, but they were pricy. I lot of ribbon speakers I heard then had better highs, but usually lacked the lows or were also quite expensive.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp] I replaced the low tweeters (the large ones) years ago, but otherwise they have been very dependable. I like their sound and ability to get loud. Played loud I do notice they sound a bit clearer and brighter with the grills off. I run their eq. flat, except for the front tweeter -3db. Never tried to bi-amp them. I think the PL would be too much for the bottom or the top end separately.

I see Ohm offers several upgrades for them, but haven't felt the need to...yet.[/FONT]

Last edited:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Bought a pair of Ohm Model F's new in 78 IIRC. Had a Spec2 pushing them and it ran out of gas on em....I woulf really like to see a full blown WOPL 1000 pushing some F's...

Instead of fixing that 700, do a little research around her on all the White Oak Audio upgrades available for the 700's....a White Oaked 700 is herad and shoulders above a stock 700 soundwise,. absolutlely phenomenal sounding amp then......... SOTA!!!

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
[FONT=&amp]Thanks Fast Forward. Like your reel to reel. It that a TEAC? I would have listed my old Wollensak 3M with my equipment, but It's so ancient an not hifi, I was afraid it would just make people laugh.[/FONT]
This ain't AK Bill, nobody gonna laugh at your stuff here man....now we might flick ya some shit, but it's all in good fun.......not to serious around here...

Welcome to Phoenix!!

Netfly

Journeyman
Tagline
---
[FONT=&amp]Hi laatsch55,[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp] I may take your advice on that. Not that familiar with White Oak. I looked at their site and found a main board upgrade PL14-20 for the 400 and 700B, but I don't see mention of the Series II. I must be missing something. Does this board work for a 700 Series II also? [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]http://www.whiteoakaudio.com/PL14_Control_Board.aspx[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Thanks[/FONT]

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
It sure does, It is now the "E" revision board, and while your at it get a set of backplane boards that replace all those nasty sockets on the backwall. Joe just came out with LED driver boards for the Ser II also....

Fishoz

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Always learning!
Bill (you're Bill now...not screwing with auto correct for netfly)...Joe from White Oak goes by Geppetto here. He's always willing to set you up and there is more than enough wise asses here to help you through it.