Hello From Wisconsin

Hexis22

Chief Journeyman
I am a lifelong audio addict with a hands on EE background and education.

I was fortunate to have a father into quality 2-channel audio gear in the '70's. The system I listened to between grade school and college included the following:
- Marantz 3800 Preamp
- Phase Linear 400 8 fin S1
- Rectilinear IIIa Speakers
- Various analog and digital sources

The gear sat dormant for the last 10 years due to various issues with capacitors, old cables, and lack of interest due to health issues (my father is 82). After traveling to my parents for Thanksgiving, I took on the project of re-capping the Marantz and peaked his interest in rediscovering his old vinyl collection. The system sounds good for 40 year old gear with minor refurbishment.

I am in the process of a full WOPL update on a second PL400 that was used in his basement A/V system. This will become his main 2-CH listening room amp. This is what I have to work with:

I'll be starting a build thread as soon as parts arrive from Joe and Don.

My system for the past 15 years does dual duty as 2-CH and A/V surround. The current house layout does not support separate systems. Components include the following:
- Anthem Statement D2 processor
- Ayre Acoustics C5xe disk player
- Bryston 4BSST 2CH amp
- Bryston 6BSST 3CH amp
- B&W 802 fronts
- B&W HTM1 center
- B&W 804 rears
- JL Fathom Subs

Last edited:

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Welcome to our forum and Happy New Year. Looking forward to reading your build thread and nice to see you gave new life to old audio gear.

Nando.

Hexis22

Chief Journeyman
Cool stuff you got there! Never heard of those speakers but I have lived a sheltered live of rectangular boxes :)
Welcome!
Learning about the design and technical details of the B&W 802 speaker was a big part of the decision to purchase, along with the sound when paired with Bryston amps. Can’t wait to listen to them with a full WOPL 400.

Fishoz

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Always learning!
Never heard a 400 driving 802’s…..should be a great pairing. Will find it to be a detailed unfatiguing (is that a word) listen.

Have no trouble or bitches with my 400 and the 808’s.

Hexis22

Chief Journeyman
I have heard those speakers myself, and they are awesome!

Are those amps ventilated enough?

Oh...and WELCOME!
The amps are so overbuilt for the majority of listening in a family environment. Out of sight placement in this tight cabinet was compromise made to accommodate the wife factor...

I have a fan in the back of the cabinet for energetic listening sessions when I have the house to myself. It's not ideal, but I'm still happily married after 32 years.

NeverSatisfied

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Play the Game, don’t be the Game
Learning about the design and technical details of the B&W 802 speaker was a big part of the decision to purchase, along with the sound when paired with Bryston amps. Can’t wait to listen to them with a full WOPL 400.
Welcome aboard. I have wanted a set of the 802’s since I first heard them when they came out. Back then they were just a dream for a young guy with no money. All I could afford were 604 S2’s and still own them today.

Hexis22

Chief Journeyman
Thanks for the comments.

It took several years of buying/selling various gear to get to what I have today. Slowly upgrading at each step. Many sacrifices were made in prioritizing money spent on equipment Vs other discretionary spending, a decision I would not change looking back.

I was tainted at a very young age growing up listening to high end audio equipment.