Hello from down in 'Sippi

The Rebel

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Hi all, just joined the group after buying my first piece of PL audio equipment, an early 4 fin PL 400. I want to get it sorted and give it a few test drives before I dive into a full WOPL conversion. I know I want new filter caps, and a wattsabundant DC protection board to get it back into running shape. I started a thread in the amps section last night before I introduced myself : http://forums.phxaudiotape.com/showthread.php/8453-PL-400-outputs-and-other-nice-things-to-look-at
I'm on a couple other audio boards, AK, and some others, I hardly post much just lurk while I am gaining knowledge on something new I've acquired and tuning up at the time. My main interest was Silver Pioneer. I started gathering some about 15 years ago until the bug was getting too overwhelming, and the stash room was getting smaller. I stopped before I started buying SPEC series pieces, :confused2:.
My main go to system is a nice SX-1250(2), SG-9500 eq, CTF-1000(2) cassette deck, Technics SL-J2 tt, and Paradigm Eclipse Monitors. I also have several sets of speakers that I rotate out if I want to CRANK it a bit, HPM100s x4, HPM900s, JBL 4312, CV U-321, CV DX-9 x4, Athena AS-F2 towers, Norman Labs 12" 3 ways. EPI 100s, and Bose 301s in the other room on an SA-9500II. I need to thin some out when I get what I want.... :cyclopsani:
I just started building a system for serious listening. Starting with a Carver C-1 pre amp, a TX-2 tuner, a Yamaha EQ-70 equalizer, and two QSC GX5 500wpc amps to run the 4 DX-9s. I'm a thrifty shopper with decent patience so I get these at better than average prices, and with trading equipment I no longer use. I'm no money bags by any stretch of the imagination, but I do like solid gear. If I see that I can build something solid with great results like I have seen with the amp projects on here, I don't mind selling off something to do it(not a 1250). The WOPL 400 has my interest some kind of bad.
My background is hot rods, and street bikes. Being a toolmaker by trade I have built a lot of one off custom parts for a lot of mine and others projects over the years. My last plant shut down a while back and I have been semi retired since then. So my budget can get strained and slow down a project at times. I've learned to live with that. :sad1:
BTW, "The Rebel" was what my son and I named our BBC '66 Chevy pickup, and that's my name on AK, so I thought I'd keep it simple. Thanks for having me. I look forward to growing a knowledge of PL equipment. I am already looking for a PL 2000 pre amp. Have a good one!

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Nice to see you join up. It can be quite addictive looking for and accumulating Pioneer Spec series components. I have a number of them, too, and my most recent buy was a Series 20 M-25 amplifier.

Nando.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
There ya go again Nando, droppin Pioneer bombs...NICE!! How long have you had that??

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Lee: I bought it back in April of this year. Good deal on it and I've been using it in my system since then.

Nando.

The Rebel

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Nice to see you join up. It can be quite addictive looking for and accumulating Pioneer Spec series components. I have a number of them, too, and my most recent buy was a Series 20 M-25 amplifier.

Nando.
That's unreal. You have good taste.

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Hi all, just joined the group after buying my first piece of PL audio equipment, an early 4 fin PL 400. I want to get it sorted and give it a few test drives before I dive into a full WOPL conversion. I know I want new filter caps, and a wattsabundant DC protection board to get it back into running shape. I started a thread in the amps section last night before I introduced myself : http://forums.phxaudiotape.com/showthread.php/8453-PL-400-outputs-and-other-nice-things-to-look-at
I'm on a couple other audio boards, AK, and some others, I hardly post much just lurk while I am gaining knowledge on something new I've acquired and tuning up at the time. My main interest was Silver Pioneer. I started gathering some about 15 years ago until the bug was getting too overwhelming, and the stash room was getting smaller. I stopped before I started buying SPEC series pieces, :confused2:.
My main go to system is a nice SX-1250(2), SG-9500 eq, CTF-1000(2) cassette deck, Technics SL-J2 tt, and Paradigm Eclipse Monitors. I also have several sets of speakers that I rotate out if I want to CRANK it a bit, HPM100s x4, HPM900s, JBL 4312, CV U-321, CV DX-9 x4, Athena AS-F2 towers, Norman Labs 12" 3 ways. EPI 100s, and Bose 301s in the other room on an SA-9500II. I need to thin some out when I get what I want.... :cyclopsani:
I just started building a system for serious listening. Starting with a Carver C-1 pre amp, a TX-2 tuner, a Yamaha EQ-70 equalizer, and two QSC GX5 500wpc amps to run the 4 DX-9s. I'm a thrifty shopper with decent patience so I get these at better than average prices, and with trading equipment I no longer use. I'm no money bags by any stretch of the imagination, but I do like solid gear. If I see that I can build something solid with great results like I have seen with the amp projects on here, I don't mind selling off something to do it(not a 1250). The WOPL 400 has my interest some kind of bad.
My background is hot rods, and street bikes. Being a toolmaker by trade I have built a lot of one off custom parts for a lot of mine and others projects over the years. My last plant shut down a while back and I have been semi retired since then. So my budget can get strained and slow down a project at times. I've learned to live with that. :sad1:
BTW, "The Rebel" was what my son and I named our BBC '66 Chevy pickup, and that's my name on AK, so I thought I'd keep it simple. Thanks for having me. I look forward to growing a knowledge of PL equipment. I am already looking for a PL 2000 pre amp. Have a good one!
Welcome! And so's you aren't confused, every holiday season when I manage to do our Christmas album and such I become Rebel Elf...

My avatar of Aqualung I inserted properly managed to split. Ol' Charlie stole the handle...

Started out as a Billy Idol pun.

Last edited: