Hello All From Nevada, looking for repair for Phase Linear 400.

Str8Wire

New Around These Parts
I was searching for repair shops and upgrades for my two Phase Linear 400 amplifiers. The White Oak site directed me to this site for additional information.

BlueCrab

Journeyman
Right place. The White Oak site has lots of info and possibilities with what you can do. If you search this site, you'll find lots of details from folks who have used White Oak components (myself included) and who are quite happy with the results. Are you looking to do it yourself, or have someone do it for you?

Str8Wire

New Around These Parts
Right place. The White Oak site has lots of info and possibilities with what you can do. If you search this site, you'll find lots of details from folks who have used White Oak components (myself included) and who are quite happy with the results. Are you looking to do it yourself, or have someone do it for you?
Probably have someone do it, trying to find someone kinda close to me to keep the shipping costs down. I have no real electronics experience. I’ve done a very few small repairs but that’s about it. Still researching the WO board and others repair/upgrade experiences and recommendations.

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
Finding a Tech, and paying for upgrades can add up quick. You could see labor rates from $30-$50 an hour. So, it can be an expensive endeavor.

wattsabundant

Chief Journeyman
Safe shipping is a major concern. Lee has a custom Cabbage Case for P/L amps. It's heavy but nearly indestructable. The Cabbage Case plant is about half an hour from me. They built one for me. The are unique in that they treat eveybody equally well. Doesn't matter whether you buy 1 or 1000.

mlucitt

Safe shipping is a major concern. Lee has a custom Cabbage Case for P/L amps. It's heavy but nearly indestructable. The Cabbage Case plant is about half an hour from me. They built one for me. The are unique in that they treat eveybody equally well. Doesn't matter whether you buy 1 or 1000.
So you can save on that initial shipment from the factory to you by driving to pick it up! Can I ask you what the rough cost is for a PL700 case? I want to get one myself.

Bradrock

Tagline
---I run with Scissors
Take a look at Sportsmans Guide. They usually have a good variety of the military shipping cases.
But like Perry say's. Cardboard & bubble wrap works fine if you don't cheap out.
Aren't Nevada & Arizona fairly close? ( My globe broke)

Opinion? Unless I was bi amping with the two 400's, I'd trade them in on a 700 & make it a 1000

Parts & labor not that much different.
I have 3 or 4 400's on the shelf. I had a 700b built for me & now look at the 400's like..'why bother'? I even have the WO parts here to build one. I'll still do it.............but the drive is gone.
Buy the parts a bit at a time to ease the pain & then send it all to builder of your choice.
No way in hell I'd pay any tech to build one of these for their first time.

Which ever way you go, you'll be smiling in the end.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
You need to watch (with a 47Lb WOPL 700), that the weight stays under 70LBS or your shipment will go Freight. a double boxed, and half a roll of SMALL PINK BUBBLEWRAP, will keep your amp shipment under that weight and total for the 2 boxes would be $7.00 and $24 for Bubbles and tape...... I could ship a shitload of amps for the price of a $400 Cabbage Case (Which doesn't even include the $100 to get it halfway across the US). If you are having one built or maybe three amps built, the Cabbage Case is a waste of money. If you build and ship amps all the time, it's still a waste (IMHO). At $30 in shipping supplies, You'd need to ship at least a dozen amps to pay off that case or more (I get 2 amps out of 1 roll of bubbles)..

wattsabundant

Chief Journeyman
Here is the alternate method of packing. It works and is cost effective. Ignoring the stink, a Weller soldering gun cuts the foam like it's hot butter. It also trashes the tip. I've used this several times, without damage.

Otherwise this is one of these situations where I'm willing to agree we disagree and move on.

Attachments

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Here is the alternate method of packing. It works and is cost effective. Ignoring the stink, a Weller soldering gun cuts the foam like it's hot butter. It also trashes the tip. I've used this several times, without damage.

Otherwise this is one of these situations where I'm willing to agree we disagree and move on.
That is what band saws are for...