Got some Carver equipment that needs work

Northwinds

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Who here is the Carver gurus? I asked Jer about 1 amp but I have a preamp and another amp that need attention also. Caps 'n such. Got the stuff today and though usable (except 200T which I knew needed some sort of repair), I am bummed. I believe these units were all Kimber Kable test units

M1.5T subdued buzz in speakers only when plugged in. Drowned out when volume is increased (I tried flipping the plug around in case it was polarity and it's not). Carver site says 2 mid size caps need to be replaced

M200T relays clicking probably caps and whatever

C1 preamp, tone control does not work right, caps need to be done

I could trade the M200T towards the work on the other two, also have some other stuff

PM me please if interested

Last edited:

Northwinds

Tagline
Did not feel like hooking the WOPL400 yet and just been listening to this system. It has a very warm sound to it but does not hit with the authority of the WOPL400 which kills it for articulation, impact and detail. This M1.5T is like a comfy pair of shoes though... at very high volumes where the PL starts blowing fuses, the Carver wants more and the CV's seem to get along well with it. It's a tossup. I am sure once the M1.5T is redone, it will sound exponentially better but will it make me blink with a rimshot at Mach 3? That remains to be seen, I love the PL

I really like the attenuation of the C1's volume knob a lot. I may try it tomorrow with the WOPL400, I am sure the tone knob issue will be irrelavant as I never felt the need to use any tone with the Phase Linear

I think this M1.5T needs to be Laatchified

Last edited:

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
Laatsch has all the equipment he needs. He needs foldin money....
Aye... "Jer" too...

Hey Ron, you know... I was readin' the 400 manual the other day on a hunch. Says in the manual that up to a point the 2 line fuses were 5 amps, then PL started to put in 8 amp fuses. Sooo.. might want to go for the 8's in there (PL also recommended under no uncertain terms, 8's for 4 ohm loads). Could be a quick win for ya...

Here's the section here...

fuse400s.jpg

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Maybe that's what these guys meant...

Kix-Blow.jpg

orange

Tagline
Of 'course' I had this... MVC-004S.JPG

orange

Tagline
So I'll have a lot of this l_0MWA.jpg

orange

Tagline
PS Jer, why can't I post past any attached image STILL???

Northwinds

Tagline
Aye... "Jer" too...

Hey Ron, you know... I was readin' the 400 manual the other day on a hunch. Says in the manual that up to a point the 2 line fuses were 5 amps, then PL started to put in 8 amp fuses. Sooo.. might want to go for the 8's in there (PL also recommended under no uncertain terms, 8's for 4 ohm loads). Could be a quick win for ya...

View attachment 11035

I will get some 8amp fastblo fuses then, what voltage? The same 250v? As long as you feel these are safe to use, I will try them. The CV's are 8ohm

jbeckva

Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
I will get some 8amp fastblo fuses then, what voltage? The same 250v? As long as you feel these are safe to use, I will try them. The CV's are 8ohm
250, 125 minimum. Make sure if they are the AGX or AGC fuses, as I can't remember which 400 I swapped the fuseholders with AGC style. 8A's on the two rail fuses, and a 10A on the line (that's the one closest to the left side as you're looking at the front).

In your application, I'd also recommend you get a couple of fans back there for better thermal handling (keep in mind that 400 is the "4 fin model", which won't dissipate heat as well as the "8 fin model"). Something like this here..

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...aHJACUewmQ==&gclid=CKnz5pHegrsCFUzxOgodzQsAmA

Get a couple and with some hardware you ought to be able to make 'em fit.

Northwinds

Tagline
Hey Jer, you have a 8amp in the line fuse position. So I should get a 10A for that also? Is that fastblo also? Heading to the Rat Shack this afternoon

I tell you what Jer, the PL400 really likes the C1. I did some messing with it and now the tone control works, dirty switch

Their packages don't say AGC or AGX, just want to make sure I am getting the right ones

Last edited:

jbeckva

Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
Hey Jer, you have a 8amp in the line fuse position. So I should get a 10A for that also? Is that fastblo also? Heading to the Rat Shack this afternoon

I tell you what Jer, the PL400 really likes the C1. I did some messing with it and now the tone control works, dirty switch

Their packages don't say AGC or AGX, just want to make sure I am getting the right ones
If the length of the 8A in the line position is the same as the other two, you're in luck because then all three are AGC's (and you can find fuses for them anywhere..). Yeah, 10A for the line position, 8A for the other two.

Northwinds

Tagline
Jer, the far right fuse holder sticks out, the other two are flush. I am guessing the spring inside probably accomodates both sizes. Fuses are cheap, I will grab about $10-15 worth just so I have them on hand for the future if the need arises

Got your PM, you rock Brother

Last edited:

Northwinds

Tagline

View attachment 11035
Amp slays now Jer, thanks! Did not seem to get real hot either when I put the gas to her for a few minutes though I only took her up to a hair over half volume indicated on the C1 preamp out of an abundance of caution. Still mounting a few clip on fans though this week. Any ideas to increase surface area of the fins though? Maybe weld or lay a plate across the back??? Or is there kits out there that can be modded to add surface area?