Gepetto

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
Joe alot of us don't know you well. We aren't into hot rodding our PLs. I have watched you give advice to many problems people were having. Plus give advice to certain fixes with different components. You probably think I'm crazy for spending the money I did on my preamp. I just want to thank you for your help on it. My LAST email to the designer of the pre left alot to be desired. Really he was an ass. I really want to thank you for the help. If there is ever anything I can help you with let me know.

Thank You So Much
Larry

PS What size T-shirt do you wear?

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Thanks Larry, you know Lee is a good friend and will always help him whenever I can. I try to keep my opinions in check :) Sometimes that is difficult.

I hope your preamp sounds fantastic after Lee is done with it. He is doing a fine assembly job.

Large is unfortunately the size T-shirt that I wear, wish it was medium again :)

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
LOL I went from 135 lbs to 225 lbs in less than 6 months. Will see what I can do about a T-shirt. I do appreciate your help.

Larry

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
I don't think you're crazy spending that much on a pre-amp. Things have to be good there so the amp can start with something good and clean. As you know well Larrt, each component has it's part to play.

On another note------------we don't really know what Joe has for a system, so......whadda ya got Joe??>

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I will give you the engineering answer Larry and Lee, that depends.

My main home theater system is:
Outlaw 990 processor running in 5.1 mode
3 Crown DC-300s for 6 channels of amplification
OPPO SACD/CD/DVD player
Yammy CD player
Speaks are home brew, dual 18" woofs in D'appolito mode, dual 4" mids in D'appolito mod and 8" horn tweet on each side on mains, Polk audio center channel and Optimus Pro-LX5 rears. No sub, don't need it.
Samsung 60" LCD/LED HD Monitor
Mitsubishi S-Video VCR for those old tapes

Turntable system is:
Two Technics SL-1200Mk2 turntables, one with Shure Supertrack Mk4 cartridge and the other with Audio Technica AT440-ML
Yamaha C-2a stereo preamp (great preamp)
Phase Linear 700B Amp (when it is not on the bench for an upgrade) with all the White Oak Goodies.
Dynaco A-25 speaks

Workshop system is:
PL400 Series 1 with all the White Oak goodies
Realistic TM-1001 tuner with White Oak upgrade mods
PL4000 Preamp
Yamaha acoustic suspension speaks

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Take that Laatsch!!!!

DAYAM!!!! So you can give the God Particle the proper audition!!!!So.......there are 4-18" woofs......IN THE SAME ROOM???????

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Yup, one of my audio tenets is the road to low distortion in your speaks is getting high sound power levels with very little cone excursion, this works. The wife hates it but it is in my man room so I get away with it.

I scored a set of the original Japanese made NHT 1259 12" woofs that I hope to make into an AR-3 type look alike this summer. That will replace the Dyna A-25s which will move to my lab system.

With work and building White Oak, I do not get much time to listen to much but my lab system lately. And that is mostly the wonderful TM-1001 tuner (great tuner, esp with upgrades)

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
At the time I bought my Spec stuff in 1975 I also auditioned a Crown Distinction Series DL-2, good stuff. Kept right up with the Spec 2.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Museum quality...I went through a lot of them to get them that way, except for one first generation that came to me new in box, owned by an army officer that never opened it. I went though a period of trading complete amps on Ebay to get a desired, pristine part that I needed for the restoration. I have one from each generation, DC-300, DC-300A, DC-300 Series 2 all predate the HK acquisition.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
So pure Crown from the top down. Very nice stuff. Gerald Edward Stanley was quite a hand as I understand it.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Bar none, top notch electrical engineering in the DC300 and 300A. No corners cut. The original DC-300s were the best in my opinion as they were mechanically very nice as well as electrically very well done.

Over time, Crown started chintzing on the mechanical portions of the amp but pretty much left the electrical aspects alone.

I have a very low serial number DC-300 that came to me as a basket case from a cosmetic standpoint. It has the original chassis that included the silkscreening on it showing the amp path from in to out. Rare because most are in the dump by now. I am gradually bringing the cosmetics back on that one too. Still works perfectly.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Did Crown build a more powerful amp in that era?? Seems to me I remember something that was more powerful, that DL-2 had to be more than 150 a side.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
They built my dream amp at that time, the Reference 1. You still see these from time to time. A real brute and a room heater at the same time. Pure class A.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
And the DC-300 is bridgeable in Mono to be able to produce 600W per amp into 4 ohms. So the really over the top would be to have this config on my mains. My mains are 4 ohms.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Have you tried a White Oaked 700 on the main system?? I'm thinkin a WOPL 1000 would wake those puppies up.